Sign in to follow this  

What is this noise my bike is making?

It might be hard to pick up on, but in this video:

there's a kind of wooshing noise... I don't really know how else to describe it.  You can hear it as soon as I start getting up to speed in the beginning of the video.  Does anyone know what it is and if it's normal?

Looks like youve got alot of good riding area there and plenty of space, looks great!

The noise Im hearing is heard almost the entire time the engine is running but seems alittle quieter at low rpm, so I dont think its just a wind noise.

It sounds very similar to a engine noise in a bike I fixed about a year ago that had a RS main bearing that was rough and was easily heard while riding. 

Sometimes a noise can be tough to isolate or pin point and probably would need some dis assembly to check things out.

Edited by TDW

Looks like youve got alot of good riding area there and plenty of space, looks great!

The noise Im hearing is heard almost the entire time the engine is running but seems alittle quieter at low rpm, so I dont think its just a wind noise.

It sounds very similar to a engine noise in a bike I fixed about a year ago that had a RS main bearing that was rough and was easily heard while riding. 

Sometimes a noise can be tough to isolate or pin point and probably would need some dis assembly to check things out.

Yeah this is in Kamloops, BC.  I make a lot of trips out there because there is so much awesome biking up there!

What's the RS main bearing?

I did the valve clearance check earlier this year and shimmed the valves.  The timing chain was night and tight (thought I know that may not be an indication that it's fine).

Should I be worried something is going to grenade?

Yeah this is in Kamloops, BC.  I make a lot of trips out there because there is so much awesome biking up there!

What's the RS main bearing?

I did the valve clearance check earlier this year and shimmed the valves.  The timing chain was night and tight (thought I know that may not be an indication that it's fine).

Should I be worried something is going to grenade?

If I was anywhere close to Kamloops Id ride there too..

The RS main bearing is #20 in the diagram. https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=664598&manufacturer=1&category=5&year=2007&model=24625

As far as the noise heard in the video, to offer an opinion based on the video is really just something to check into when you or anybody else does more diagnosis or dis assembly. If that bearing is the cause of the noise it requires removing the engine and splitting the cases to replace it so its not a real quick or real easy job.

When you change oil you could cut the oil filter apart and see if find metal particles in the pleats on the outside filter paper surface.

Did the noise just start or has it been there for awhile, has it gotten louder? Do you feel any extra vibrations?

IMO anytime there is a problem or unusual noises its time to take care of it so no additional damage occurs and/or your not left stranded with a

bike that wont run.

If I was anywhere close to Kamloops Id ride there too..

The RS main bearing is #20 in the diagram. https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=664598&manufacturer=1&category=5&year=2007&model=24625

As far as the noise heard in the video, to offer an opinion based on the video is really just something to check into when you or anybody else does more diagnosis or dis assembly. If that bearing is the cause of the noise it requires removing the engine and splitting the cases to replace it so its not a real quick or real easy job.

When you change oil you could cut the oil filter apart and see if find metal particles in the pleats on the outside filter paper surface.

Did the noise just start or has it been there for awhile, has it gotten louder? Do you feel any extra vibrations?

IMO anytime there is a problem or unusual noises its time to take care of it so no additional damage occurs and/or your not left stranded with a

bike that wont run.

I don't know if the noise has been there previously, I think I just never noticed it.  It's never gotten louder.  There are no vibrations.  IMO the bike rides, runs, and feels just fine.  I certainly hope it's not that bearing, though.

Probably the best advice if your not sure about the noise being normal or how serious it is would be to get another opinion, have somebody who is real familiar with bikes listen to it in person. Again most of the time there is some dis assembly involved to pin point the problem and possibly check other components for any other damage or problems. Cutting the oil filter apart is a good idea and checking the oil after draining it out for particles or anything unusual is a good idea also.