USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 125 Carburertor: Carb rebuild kits? Buy aftermarket carb?

Hey guys, 

I'm finally getting to work on the 2003 DRZ 125 I bought a while ago. Cleaned up the carb, it was a mess, went to purchase the bowl gasket, some o-rings only to find my local dealer doesn't stock them. Went online to Rocky Mtn to order up the parts, but of course it adds up pretty quickly buying individual parts. Then went looking for complete carb rebuild kits, but its not clear what is in the rebuild kits. 

Questions:

1. K & L carb rebuild kit: Does it have all the necessary gaskets and o-rings? (I don't care about the jets or needle, I can find those):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ125-K3-K4-K5-carburetor-rebuild-kit-03-05-/390555952143?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ADRZ125&hash=item5aeef2e40f&vxp=mtr

2. Moose Racing rebuild kit? Does it have all the necessary gaskets and o-rings? (I don't care about the jets or needle, I can find those). For some reason its more expensive. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moose-Carburetor-Carb-Rebuild-Kit-Suzuki-DRZ-125-L-Dirtbike-2003-09-MX-03-806-/291151757795?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c9ff41e3&vxp=mtr

3. Should I just replace the carb with an XR200 carb? Looks like the intake adaptor is available from BBR as a separate part. This would also require a new throttle cable and I think throttle assembly. 

4. Any other cheap carb solutions out there? If so, please be specific, links would be great. 

Looking to keep the spending down as much as possible, but I hate to throw good money after bad, so I would consider spending more to replace the carb if I see a performance benefit and easier jetting. 

Also, the engine is stock, stock jetting, has a FMF silencer on it. 

Thanks! 

Ed

Ok, did a bunch more calling around, found the gasket and o-rings that I need for the stock carb. Would still be interested to hear thoughts on the kits and alternative carbs if anyone knows. Thanks. 

I bought a kit from Outlaw Racing on eBay. It sucked bad, really bad.

I feel for you. I have a 2006 125l that  I recently picked up for my wife. It is almost like new. Unfortunately after sitting for years the carb was a mess. The P.O. drained most of the gas out of the tank, but not the carb. The float bowl and everything in it was a gooey mess. I am an old fart that has been around motorcycles for along time. I'm pretty comfortable with carb work (I just did the 3x3 mod and a jd jet kit on my new drz-400). 

Anyway I could not resist and bought a $27 new chinese replacement carb on amazon (free shipping too!) It took 15 minutes to pop in. I used all the chinese parts except the carb (screw on) top. It had a little different way to interface with the throttle cable so I used the suzuki cap. It also has the casting for the diaphram on the side, but they were fake. None of the passages go anywhere so you don't use the diaphram with it.

The bike started right up, idled great with no adjustments at all. It was jetted right and was all around better running than the suzuki carb.....until it went wrong. And I'm still not sure it was the chinese carbs fault. We took the bike to our riding spot in the Sam Houston forest and all was good until the floats stuck and it started sending gas out the overflow tube. I cleaned the float bowl on the trail and it was all better. I found some bits of the bad old gas in the float bowl. Once home I cleaned the gas tank and petcock of the offending cloggy bits.

I was a little leery of the chinese carb so I ordered a moose rebuild kit for the original suzuki carb. The kit was around $50 and very complete. After a surgical cleaning I had no trouble assembling it.  I also found out that the P.O. put an adjustable needle in it (but it still had stock jets). I used the moose non-adjustable needle, main jet and pilot jet. Plus I used a small sheet metal screw and vice grips to pull the cover off the mixture screw. I set the mixture screw to 1.75 turns. The bike started right up but was obviously running lean. It also had a lean stumble about halfway thru the rpm range. So I fartzed with the mixture screw, put in the adjustable needle, re-cleaned the important things, etc. It still had a lean stumble,it was better, but still unacceptable. So I put the chinese carb back on until I can order some new main jets (any suggestions?)

Well we took it back to the riding area with the chinese carb on it and it ran great until the bike quit waaaayyyy out in the woods. It was an incredibly hot day too. My wife, a motorcycle noob and my son, (a noob too) on his Honda 70 were stuck on a sandy single track. It would not start, it was dead as a door nail. I checked the gas was flowing from the petcock, I tipped it over and saw gas coming out of the float bowl over flow. I pulled the spark plug and it was wet,oily and dark. I unhooked the fuel line and used gas to clean the plug up.  I didn't check it for spark because I got alot of gas on the engine while cleaning the plug and was afraid I might light the bike on fire. Still it would not even try to start. 

I always carry a tow rope with me so we towed it out. That is another story in itself. My poor wife, is a real sport she is, she only dumped it twice.My 400's clutch lost about half of it's life. We trailered it home and it sat untouched for about three days. On a whim I tried to start it and it caught on the second kick. I shut it off and started it again without any trouble. I rode it around the block and it ran great .

There really is no conclusion to this, I'm still not sure about the chinese carb. It seems ok, but I am going to rejet the suzuki carb use it.