Sign in to follow this  

E model wiring question

I recently bought a 2002 E model and used some spare parts from an S that I parted out to make it street legal. My question is, did the E model use the keyed switch to turn the motor off or did it have a kill button?

The reason I asking is because I'm having trouble getting the on/off toggle to stop the engine, it only works with the key. Everything else is working fine I'm just trying to figure out how to make the toggle from the S work.

Thanks Gregg

Sorry nevermind should have looked a the schematic, I see now it had an engine stop button. Now I just have to figure out why I can't get the switch from the S to work.

Gregg

I used a switch off a YFZ to replace the E model key and the kill button (http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/52751-ignition-key-bypass/?hl=yfz#entry347659). Simple install and really cleaned up the handle bars. It of course eliminates the key which may not be what youre going for,

Example of the switch I used

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-YAMAHA-YFZ-600-HANDLE-BAR-SWITCH-/271463177801?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f34775e49&vxp=mtr

The big red rocker becomes in ignition on/off/kill switch and the gray button is the starter

Thats just the first one I found on ebay, not mine, not affiliated with seller, no idea if thats a defective unit, not liable for damages if you shoot your eye out, no animals were harmed in the making of this post :)

Edited by ROMAD
  • Like 2

Thanks Romad, I would like to keep the key. I think I might have it figured out. I think I may have tapped the control wire for the acc. relays in the wrong spot and now it's back feeding the ignition, I'm not sure yet gotta get home and check that.

Gregg

I got it figured out last night and as usual I'm an idiot. It was nothing fancy like backfeeding power. I found a splice in the switch that's not listed on the schematcic so if you are using a switch from a 2001 S for this mod you will need to remove the wire covering and snip the white wire from the splice. You can then cut one of the unused orange wires from the same splice and connect it to the white wire you just cut. That wire will then become the wire to the starter.