Sign in to follow this  

Thumpertalk DRZ400 oil change kit?

Hi everyone.  Im new here to this wonderful site and got a 2013 drz400s with about 2400miles on it so far.  First break in service change done at local mechanic at 600 miles. 

Recently ordered 2 oil change kits from the store.  One with oil and one spare kit with no oil.  I had the oil change faq guide open as I did my first change.  The kit comes with 2 crush washers and I made the mistake( I think) of removing the oil filter drain plug as well.  Doesn't appear anyone else does that.  So the one larger crush washer worked out fine but the smaller crush washer didn't appear to fit either of the 3 drain bolts.  Had them all did by side.  Noticed on in the thumpertalk store lists it only fitting drz400 up to 2012 year but don't think any changes were made.  I ended up just reusing the oil filter drain crush washer(wont remove during future oil changes) and reused the frame bolt washer since I don't think that washer matters as much since It just locks down against the frame. 

But Im left with the smaller washer that didn't appear to fit anything.  Anyone else run into this issue on newer model drz's? 

Edited by sdhydro

There's a drain bolt under the sump, and there's a smaller drain bolt on the frame (by the exhaust header). Large crusher on the sump plug, smaller one on the frame one. The sharp lip goes against the head of the bolt. 

If you change the filter, then change the two (yes, there should be two) O-rings as well. You're done.

edit: I just looked at the fiche for the 2013s and I can't see the frame bolt. I assumed the S and SM would be near identical on this account.

Edited by ohtobias

Hi everyone.  Im new here to this wonderful site and got a 2013 drz400s with about 2400miles on it so far.  First break in service change done at local mechanic at 600 miles. 

Recently ordered 2 oil change kits from the store.  One with oil and one spare kit with no oil.  I had the oil change faq guide open as I did my first change.  The kit comes with 2 crush washers and I made the mistake( I think) of removing the oil filter drain plug as well.  Doesn't appear anyone else does that.  So the one larger crush washer worked out fine but the smaller crush washer didn't appear to fit either of the 3 drain bolts.  Had them all did by side.  Noticed on in the thumpertalk store lists it only fitting drz400 up to 2012 year but don't think any changes were made.  I ended up just reusing the oil filter drain crush washer(wont remove during future oil changes) and reused the frame bolt washer since I don't think that washer matters as much since It just locks down against the frame. 

But Im left with the smaller washer that didn't appear to fit anything.  Anyone else run into this issue on newer model drz's? 

You should have gotten two crush washers and two o-rings.  The larger crush washer (cone-shaped) goes in the crankcase/sump drain and the smaller one goes in the frame drain (by exhaust header).

You probably loosened the oil galley bolt for pressure testing, it's on the side case cover.  All those bolts have crush washers, so as long as they don't leak and you don't over-tighten them... you can reuse the old ones.

Didnt seem like the small crush washer wanted to fit on the frame drain plug. The rest of the oil change went fine and I replaced both o-rings the small and large one for the oil filter. I did undo the oil gallery bolt for pressure testing by accident. Though it was a drain for the oil filter. Ill find out for sure next oil change but seemed like my frame bolt was too large for the small crush washer.