Sign in to follow this  

Swapping forks without a different triple clamp.

I've searched for this topic but have seen no forums on people only switching forks without changing triple clamps. I'm looking at selling both my bikes and buying a mx specific machine. Instead of getting the suspension set to compromise and have to play with the clickers every time I thought that maybe I could just swap the 48mm SFF forks on the 2013 RMZ I'm looking at for another trail bikes front end that has 48mm forks. This seems like an easy solution because I could get that front end set up for single track and then just switch my brake setup when I switch the forks. I've found some cheap KTM WP front ends that use 48mm forks on ebay and there are some parts bikes on craigslist I've seen too. I know there are tons of mx bike to trail bike conversion threads but those don't really answer my question.

Are there any issues with doing this?

I don't necessarily want WP forks thats just what I found first.

Edited by ryanmcclan

The inner tubes may be the same size, but it's doubtful that the outer tubes will have the same diameter and taper between brands.

There's also the issue of axle diameters, caliper mounts, etc.

Why do you want WP forks any way? They've proven repeatedly that they have no clue how to tune suspension, you'll still have to have them professionally valved to get them to work properly for you and the bike you put them on. So you may as well spend that money on your existing forks.

The jury is still out on WPs new 4cs forks, although people that have them seem to like them better than any previous WP effort

The inner tubes may be the same size, but it's doubtful that the outer tubes will have the same diameter and taper between brands.

There's also the issue of axle diameters, caliper mounts, etc.

Why do you want WP forks any way? They've proven repeatedly that they have no clue how to tune suspension, you'll still have to have them professionally valved to get them to work properly for you and the bike you put them on. So you may as well spend that money on your existing forks.

The jury is still out on WPs new 4cs forks, although people that have them seem to like them better than any previous WP effort

I was thinking the entire front end except the triples. Change the forks that have a wheel, brake, and a brake line with a quick connect to connect to my master cylinder. I don't necessarily want WP's I just found those first on ebay when searching 48mm forks and that triggered the idea.

If I can avoid the axle, brake, and caliper mount issues there isn't much that can go wrong. I'll keep in mind to look for 48 mm showa forks (not SFF) when I'm searching to hopefully keep the taper close to that of the oem triples.

I was thinking the entire front end except the triples. Change the forks that have a wheel, brake, and a brake line with a quick connect to connect to my master cylinder. I don't necessarily want WP's I just found those first on ebay when searching 48mm forks and that triggered the idea.

If I can avoid the axle, brake, and caliper mount issues there isn't much that can go wrong. I'll keep in mind to look for 48 mm showa forks (not SFF) when I'm searching to hopefully keep the taper close to that of the oem triples.

If you're going to buy the wheel, brakes, etc., then why not just go ahead and get the clamps too? Then all you have to do is slide the stem into the steering tube and tighten the steering stem nut and voila, the forks are swapped. Even if the stems aren't the same, you can simple install the correct stem for your bike into the clamps.

If you're going to buy the wheel, brakes, etc., then why not just go ahead and get the clamps too? Then all you have to do is slide the stem into the steering tube and tighten the steering stem nut and voila, the forks are swapped. Even if the stems aren't the same, you can simple install the correct stem for your bike into the clamps.

I was thinking that switching the clamps was just an extra step that required pulling the bars and switching the clamps instead of just loosening the 8 bolts and sliding the old ones out and sliding the new ones in. Plus I've found it easier to find a set of forks used than forks with triples on ebay. 

Nothing wrong with WP cc forks for off-road .. Or for mx either for that matter.. Honda Showa CRF 250R 2010-14 forks will bolt straight into your clamps, change your calliper bracket , maybe use the Honda axle with a bearing change and your wheel would fit straight in.... Or just change the Suzuki axle clamps off your fork( Showa 48mm will interchange).. All looks to be very expensive and time consuming , why not revalve and respring your SSF???

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

Nothing wrong with WP cc forks for off-road .. Or for mx either for that matter.. Honda Showa CRF 250R 2010-14 forks will bolt straight into your clamps, change your calliper bracket , maybe use the Honda axle with a bearing change and your wheel would fit straight in.... Or just change the Suzuki axle clamps off your fork( Showa 48mm will interchange).. All looks to be very expensive and time consuming , why not revalve and respring your SSF???

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

If I understand this thread right, he wants two sets of forks, one for MX and one for off road, so he can use one bike without compromising the forks for one or the other.

Of course that doesn't address the shock... :excuseme:

• Like 1

If I understand this thread right, he wants two sets of forks, one for MX and one for off road, so he can use one bike without compromising the forks for one or the other.

Of course that doesn't address the shock... :excuseme:

I just haven't thought of an economical way to do that.

That will probably require some compromise or patience waiting on ebay for a good deal. Are there rear shocks that are at least the same size? I know that they switched the rear shock on the rmz's between 12-13 to better match the front forks. This shock switch is also the difference between a $250 2012 shock and a $550 2013 shock. By the time I do all this stuff I'll be able to just go re buy my kdx or pickup a cheap 125 again. There's no way to economically have a bike setup indecently for track and trail.