Sign in to follow this  

MCCT or ACCT for later models

Is it really necessary to change out the acct to a mcct on later models? I have a 2012...what do you think? thanks in advance for all the input

• Like 1

The late model ACCT's aren't known to fail like the early models. But they still put too much pressure on the cam chain causing premature wear.

• Like 1

I wonder how much premature wear it actually causes...does the life expectancy of the cam chain drop from sat 20k miles to 10k miles? Probably no one knows but it would be interesting to find out.

I wonder how much premature wear it actually causes...does the life expectancy of the cam chain drop from sat 20k miles to 10k miles? Probably no one knows but it would be interesting to find out.

what do people get with a mcct? I am not putting a mcct in my 2014 so I guess I will find out.

• Like 1

Me bike all of the sudden developed a loud screetching noise around 6k rpm's,  put in a MCCT and the noise was gone right away,  the spring on the ACCT is way too strong imo, puts a lot of pressure on that chain.

• Like 3

My bikes a 2004 E and the acct failed at 3400 miles. MCCT fixed this. New cam chain going in too.

• Like 1

Is it really necessary to change out the acct to a mcct on later models? I have a 2012...what do you think? thanks in advance for all the input

I have the original acct in my 2002 drz400s and never a problem.  Although I did recently buy the updated acct but havn't installed it yet.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. when I bought the bike used the previous owner gave me a new MCCT. I was just wondering if I should throw it on or not...I guess it's just that extra insurance that makes it worth it.

From my experience very little to none.  Bought my bike in 2002 and diddn't put a new cam chain in until 2012.  :applause:

• Like 1

Street ridden and stock cams, the acct and chain can last a long time over 40,000 mile, and puts no more pressure than my double chained acct'd VFR with over 100,000 miles, course both those cam chains are a lot heavier than the DRZ.

The issue comes more from when you begin modifying cam lobe ramping angles, which puts more pressure on the chain, or rotating the motor backwards, as to achieve top dead center to start, this can cause an ACCT to actually tighten(via the reverse bias), and once it moves a tooth it doesn't give it back. The same event can happen stalling on a hill climb

and the motor accidently rotating backwards.

I have seen the racks on the acct wear over time, the paw rides back and forth between the tooth and valley, and will actually wallow it out, still we are talking a good 30,000 or 40,000 to begin to see this kind of wear.

For aggressive offroad or modified motor the MCCT is probably a good idea cause your dealing with a lot more violent action or stress on the motor, but a lot of these guys replacing ACCT's for noise on stock motors, usually end up right back on the threads with noise issues(paranoia more than anything). and we wont talk about the silkolene motors with MCCTs that have blow up.

Now I did replace a cam chain around 33,000 mile as a preventative(no issue) and I had two open teeth left on the ACCT, the new chain only gained me two teeth(1/4 inch), so it wasn't severely worn but had some wear on it. But I saw some wear on the acct rack in the area that most cam chain life rides(like the center couple of teeth) that would need to be replaced at some point in the future.

Actually the only wear I really saw around these higher mileges was some cam lobe wear, was more obvious than anything(bike used no oil). If you bike sees a lot of sustained high RPM like mine, Id try to run 50 weights to cut down on the lobe wear. I ran 5w40 pao motorcycle oil a lot of that life, and attribute that wear to the lack of a 30 weight oil to provide enough film strength in those pressure areas(a 5w40 is basically a 30 weight or will be very shortly in a motorcycle.

• Like 3

Street ridden and stock cams, the acct and chain can last a long time over 40,000 mile, and puts no more pressure than my double chained acct'd VFR with over 100,000 miles, course both those cam chains are a lot heavier than the DRZ.

The issue comes more from when you begin modifying cam lobe ramping angles, which puts more pressure on the chain, or rotating the motor backwards, as to achieve top dead center to start, this can cause an ACCT to actually tighten(via the reverse bias), and once it moves a tooth it doesn't give it back. The same event can happen stalling on a hill climb

and the motor accidently rotating backwards.

I have seen the racks on the acct wear over time, the paw rides back and forth between the tooth and valley, and will actually wallow it out, still we are talking a good 30,000 or 40,000 to begin to see this kind of wear.

For aggressive offroad or modified motor the MCCT is probably a good idea cause your dealing with a lot more violent action or stress on the motor, but a lot of these guys replacing ACCT's for noise on stock motors, usually end up right back on the threads with noise issues(paranoia more than anything). and we wont talk about the silkolene motors with MCCTs that have blow up.

Now I did replace a cam chain around 33,000 mile as a preventative(no issue) and I had two open teeth left on the ACCT, the new chain only gained me two teeth(1/4 inch), so it wasn't severely worn but had some wear on it. But I saw some wear on the acct rack in the area that most cam chain life rides(like the center couple of teeth) that would need to be replaced at some point in the future.

Actually the only wear I really saw around these higher mileges was some cam lobe wear, was more obvious than anything(bike used no oil). If you bike sees a lot of sustained high RPM like mine, Id try to run 50 weights to cut down on the lobe wear. I ran 5w40 pao motorcycle oil a lot of that life, and attribute that wear to the lack of a 30 weight oil to provide enough film strength in those pressure areas(a 5w40 is basically a 30 weight or will be very shortly in a motorcycle.

Very thorough explanation thank you very much.

Me bike all of the sudden developed a loud screetching noise around 6k rpm's,  put in a MCCT and the noise was gone right away,  the spring on the ACCT is way too strong imo, puts a lot of pressure on that chain.

Have you ever checked the chain tension ( valve cover removed ) with the ACCT is place ?

Unbelievable pressure .,

• Like 1

I have seen drz cam chains all done by 15,00 miles with ACCT and some still good at 30,000....

A lot depends on how hard the bike is used......

The fact of the matter is that the ACCT does place excessive pressure on the cam chain and will cause it to wear more quickly, whatever way the bike is being used...

On my personal drz I have done 20,000km with an MCCT and have not been required to do any adjustment on the MCCT.....Take from that what you will..

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

I have seen drz cam chains all done by 15,00 miles with ACCT and some still good at 30,000....

A lot depends on how hard the bike is used......

The fact of the matter is that the ACCT does place excessive pressure on the cam chain and will cause it to wear more quickly, whatever way the bike is being used...

On my personal drz I have done 20,000km with an MCCT and have not been required to do any adjustment on the MCCT.....Take from that what you will..

Come in M8 ..over :thumbsup:

Have you had to do any valve Adj in the 20,000 ?

everyone with a low milage bike thinks they are immune to the ACCT problems. then they start hearing the wonderful rocks-in-a-coffee-can noises and become believers. 

some of them think the ACCT was their only problem, since it's a low milage bike, and they use Synthetic oil. then the loctite fixes are mentioned and ignored. "not me, my bike is still 'new'". bang. dead bike. 

history repeats.

like craigo's sigline: Smart people learn from other's mistakes

• Like 1

then again, some people swear by torturing their bike while others take it easy on them .. the fact that some argue they can run max throttle down the highway for hundreds of miles with no ill effects bears this out .. some 'need' that extra insurance for sure .. it doesnt surprize me at all that cam chains stretch and every bolt in the motor falls out the way some people twist the throttle lol ..

• Like 1