Sign in to follow this  

Broke cylinder stud while putting on head

I hope this is the right section as i am new here and couldn't really find a better place to post this.

Well i bought my first dirtbike about two weeks ago. I bought it off of a friend and knew it needed work when i bought it. Its a 1998 cr125r and it needed a new cylinder and piston and rings. I got everything almost put together on it yesterday and while i was putting on the head a broke the stud on the last nut. I was using a torque wrench set to 20lbs when it broke off. I think the wrench might have been broken because on all of the other ones i never heard a click or anything when tightening them. Anyway i got the broken stud out and am going to get a new one tomorrow but i was just wanting to know if there could of been another reason the stud broke. Someone had told me that the wrench i used measured in ft lbs and i need to measure in inch pounds. Thanks for any advice anyone can offer and thanks in advance. Sorry about the long explanation as well.

20ft lbs of right, if there was no click the wrench was mis-calibrated. In fact i assume that the head is off, so check for it being warped. If it's not then just a new stuff maybe a gasket and use a different wrench

Edited by zotis777

How would the head look if its warped? Also what do you mean by a direct wrench.

Get a torque wrench that works.  20 ft-lbs means the same force as a 20 lb weight on the end of a 1 foot long lever.    You can probably apply that much force with the tips of three fingers on the handle of most torque wrenches.  If you snapped a head stud, you probably waaaay over torqued it and all the other studs.

Alright thanks for the info guys! I just wanna make sure its ft lbs not inch lbs right?

Right, and to check.if it's warped put it on a piece of glass and try and get a feeler guage under a bunch of places around the head, and that was a typo. I meant different

Thanks! Im gonna get the new stud tomorrow and try and get it together assuming the head isn't warped when i check it. I am so excited to get this bike running. Again thanks for all your guys help.