Sign in to follow this  

2003 KLX400 Dies When Cracking Throttle

2003 KLX400 was running fine a week ago.  It starts great, idles great, but when I give it some gas it dies. Is it time to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning?

Does this happen under load (in gear) or just when in neutral and sitting still?

• Like 2

2003 KLX400 was running fine a week ago.  It starts great, idles great, but when I give it some gas it dies. Is it time to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning?

dump the bowl drain, check fuel flow, clean air filter. 

then try again. 

This occurs in neutral.  I have not made any recent mods to the bike.

Normal. Go ride, If it happens while riding, report back and more help will be given.

my bike is an '01, been sitting for several months, thought I drained the fuel but can't remember, got it back together, I have the Aqualine 28 liter safari tank so there is plenty of room for bad gas, I turned the gas ON, the carb started to dump fuel but stopped after 2 minutes, I could get it to start with choke but would stall if I gassed it, sitting at idle in neutral in back yard, finally quit idling with the choke ON and then it wouldn't start or even cough...am I gonna have to pull that carb off?...that means pulling the subframe and everything else right? Atleast that is the easiest way to get at the carb right? There is no easy way to do this is there?

thanks

my bike is an '01, been sitting for several months, thought I drained the fuel but can't remember, got it back together, I have the Aqualine 28 liter safari tank so there is plenty of room for bad gas, I turned the gas ON, the carb started to dump fuel but stopped after 2 minutes, I could get it to start with choke but would stall if I gassed it, sitting at idle in neutral in back yard, finally quit idling with the choke ON and then it wouldn't start or even cough...am I gonna have to pull that carb off?...that means pulling the subframe and everything else right? Atleast that is the easiest way to get at the carb right? There is no easy way to do this is there?

thanks

correct, the fuel should flow comletely out of the drain on the bottom of the carb, until the tank is empty. this assumes you're using PRIME or "ON" without a vacuum petcock. 

correct, you need to pull the carb and clean out whatever is gummed. i would imagine blowing out the supply line and a new fuel filter be a good idea too. 

incorrect, removing the subframe is not needed. push the air horn back towards the airbox with one hand, and wiggle out the carb with the other. it will fit, but it's very tight against the regular steel frame member. careful not to bend the airhorn's clamp in the process, or damage either of the mating surfaces. 

i would look for clogged jets, clogged tank petcock, clogged/gummed needle, and damaged float needle tip. that rubber can only stand so much alchohol before it degrades. 

good luck. 

correct, the fuel should flow comletely out of the drain on the bottom of the carb, until the tank is empty. this assumes you're using PRIME or "ON" without a vacuum petcock. 

correct, you need to pull the carb and clean out whatever is gummed. i would imagine blowing out the supply line and a new fuel filter be a good idea too. 

incorrect, removing the subframe is not needed. push the air horn back towards the airbox with one hand, and wiggle out the carb with the other. it will fit, but it's very tight against the regular steel frame member. careful not to bend the airhorn's clamp in the process, or damage either of the mating surfaces. 

i would look for clogged jets, clogged tank petcock, clogged/gummed needle, and damaged float needle tip. that rubber can only stand so much alchohol before it degrades. 

good luck. 

well now that I have to get into it, I looked at my air box, I looked inside after removing the air filter and the rim grease is all over that metal mesh part, I think I am gonna have to pull the whole thing apart to get that air box and clean it properly, mine is an '01 and has never been cleaned like that anyway and years of rim grease have just coated that screen

air filter.jpg

well now that I have to get into it, I looked at my air box, I looked inside after removing the air filter and the rim grease is all over that metal mesh part, I think I am gonna have to pull the whole thing apart to get that air box and clean it properly, mine is an '01 and has never been cleaned like that anyway and years of rim grease have just coated that screen

Motobob , that looks like part of your aircleaner has come off and stuck to the screen aswell , maybe time for a new one . I would pull the carb and give it a good clean plus use compressed air on all of the passageways to clear them , greg

Motobob , that looks like part of your aircleaner has come off and stuck to the screen aswell , maybe time for a new one . I would pull the carb and give it a good clean plus use compressed air on all of the passageways to clear them , greg

you know, go to fix one thing and find two things wrong, that is a No-Toil filter, I use their cleaner and oil and the thing barely lasted two years, gonna buy a K&N like I have on all my other vehicles, also found the hose clamp/retaining ring that goes from the back of carb to the boot is gone, can't imagine that, might as well buy a jet kit and do the 3x3 mod, gonna get the James Dean kit I guess

• Like 1