Rm85l 2004 HELP!

Hey i got a problem with my rm85, when im in 1st,2st and sometimes 3 gear i starts to bog out right before the powerband, it almost sounds like a rev limitor.

when in netrual i cant rev it high cause then it will do the same thing.

Hard to explain but do you guys have any idea what it can be? carb?

sorry for my bad english! :D

Air filter is not dirty just put new oiled on!

I got the bike used, it has an v-force 3 on it, bit i got more reeds, should i replace them?

Not sure about top end, i runs great att lower RPM:s and higher gears!

Years ago a man was having similar issues with his son's 80.  The bike would idle fine until about 2/3 throttle, it would just die out, then pick back up revving fine in the lower RPMs.  Turns out that the father poured two cycle oil straight in the tank, which leaked into the carb and clogged the main jet (which controls high RPMs).  Cleaned it out, fixed the problem!

Sure it took 45 minutes of my riding time to help, but that kid's face was worth it--"OMG Dad, let's RIDE!!!"  It was great.  They wanted to pay me, but I wouldn't accept anything but beer as payment.

• Like 4

Air filter is not dirty just put new oiled on!

I got the bike used, it has an v-force 3 on it, bit i got more reeds, should i replace them?

Not sure about top end, i runs great att lower RPM:s and higher gears!

Well we need to start with the basics.

Put a new plug in it. While you have the old plug out, take some pictures of it and post them here.

Are you sure the filter isn't over-oiled?

The carb should get a thorough cleaning, including all the air passageways in the carb body. Just replace the pilot jet, they are impossible to completely clean.

While you have the carb off, you can tell us what jets are in it, and what position the needle clip is in. You can also inspect the reeds while the carb is off, to make sure they aren't chipped or broken and that they seal tightly against the reed block.

You do have a service manual, right? If not, you need to get one.

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 2

Thanks!

The bike is not home so cant take pics now, ill test new plug and take the carb off!

When i got the bike it been sitting for like 2 years!

I just wanted to know what you guys taught it colud be, gonna call a nerby mechanic and hear with him!

Yes i have a manual

Yeah.... sounds like a clogged main jet.

Yeah, 'cuz you'd know.  Oh brother.  Dude, everyone here knows you don't even have a bike.  You can't even figure out why MX bikes don't come with kickstands yet you want us to believe you know something about carbs. You just joined and blab about everything under the sun. You have ZERO experience in bikes and a buttload of experience in masturbation.  Your name is mud on TT.  You will never recover.  I suggest you hang out over on KTMtalk, they'll love you over there.  Make sure you tell them how "Honda's the best EVER"!

Here's the thing, it doesn't matter if you stab in the dark and say the right thing now.  Your reputation is shot.  You have no credibility.  Right or wrong, you will always be wrong in everyone's eyes.  If that's something you don't want to live with on TT, I suggest you quit TT under your present name and rejoin with a different one, and, here's the important part, change your M.O.

Edited by boomman
  • Like 2

Thanks!

The bike is not home so cant take pics now, ill test new plug and take the carb off!

When i got the bike it been sitting for like 2 years!

I just wanted to know what you guys taught it colud be, gonna call a nerby mechanic and hear with him!

Yes i have a manual

Sitting for 2 years will gum up the carb.  My guess it's the main jet.

Edited by boomman
  • Like 2

Yeah, 'cuz you'd know.  Oh brother.  Dude, everyone here knows you don't even have a bike.  You can't even figure out why MX bikes don't come with kickstands yet you want us to believe you know something about carbs. You just joined and blab about everything under the sun. You have ZERO experience in bikes and a buttload of experience in masturbation.  Your name is mud on TT.  You will never recover.  I suggest you hang out over on KTMtalk, they'll love you over there.  Make sure you tell them how "Honda's the best EVER"

I know my carbeurators!  Carbeurators have jets................ not sure if they are Boieng's or Airbus's though.

Could be a clogged main jet but that is exactly what my 200 did before I had to put a new piston in it. Clean out the carb real good and if that doesnt work, do a compression test (compression gauge is like $10 on ebay). 

Since yall are talking about bogging when cold, I have a little story that will hopefully make you always properly warm up your bike before you get on it. The last time I rode a dirt bike was on the first day of spring break this year. Cranked up the 200, let it idle for a minute or two and then took off straight on to he track. The first jump was an easy 50' table and i didnt have quite the speed so I was going to seat bounce and hit the powerband right at the base of the jump. Well it bogged out hard at the base which sent me in a nose dive. Landed hard on my shoulder and dislocated it. Tore my rotator cuff and damaged some nerves. Just had surgery last week. That was a very stupid and costly mistake. Not to mention the fact that I was riding a woods bike on a mx track.

• Like 2