Sign in to follow this  

Simple Homemade Tool for Fuel Screw Adjustment

I came up with a simple tool for adjusting the fuel screw on my 2007 CRF230F and thought I would share with those that are interested.  My bike has the fuel screw with knurled flathead tip.  I don't know about others, but I had a hard time finding a small enough and short enough screw driver to adjust the fuel screw while setting the idle speed.  It's an extremely simple tool.  All I did was take a short flathead screwdriver insert bit and slid a slightly longer piece of 3/16" ID fuel hose over it with the tip of the bit recessed inside a tad.  The fuel hose slips over the fuel screw nice and snug (with flathead bit engaged in fuel screw slot) and prevents the tool from falling off while turning it.  I also wrote tick marks with numbers on the outside of the tool using a white paint marker to keep track of how many times it is turned.  I'm sure there are plenty of other clever ways of doing it, but thought I'd share anyhow.  No need to buy and install an extended T-handle fuel screw, and a lot of folks probably have these items laying around their shop.  I can post a pic for anyone that is interested.

Edited by mossman77
  • Like 1

That's the exact low budget setup my '03 currently has.

My hose is a simple black 1.5" long vacuum hose I shoved over the fuel screw shaft.

I drew one vertical line as a marker. 

In my past experience w/ adjusting the fuel screw, once the bike is running fine, 1/4 to 3/8 turn in either direction is all that's req'd. Anything more, then the

carb needs to be recalibrated. So I try not to deviate too far from 1/4 turn fuel screw adjustment.