Sign in to follow this  

2014 YZ 250F engine braking.

What do you guy's do to lessen or decrease the engine braking ?  I've been on two strokes all my life so the engine braking is hard to get use to,  other than this issue,  the bike is fantastic.

it's minimal on the 14' vs other 4 strokes...just ride it more you will forget all about it.

• Like 1

Come in to a turn hot, stab the shift lever down and let the rear hang out, stab the throttle when you get to the correct turn angle and she'll straighten up and fly! Learn to use it.

X2.... Learn to use it to your advantage! Yes I think it is an advantage.
  • Like 1

You can install a slipper clutch which will make it to where there is none/minimal engine breaking

I like this idea, what brand ?

Come in to a turn hot, stab the shift lever down and let the rear hang out, stab the throttle when you get to the correct turn angle and she'll straighten up and fly!  Learn to use it.

At 52 year's old, I come in to ALL turn's hot, I'm burning up. I will work on this for sure. Thank you.

At 52 year's old, I come in to ALL turn's hot, I'm burning up. I will work on this for sure. Thank you.

Well, I'm 58, so I guess that makes me hotter....LOL  or more out of breath!

No kidding, I love to do this, especially when a guy on 450 is behind me on the trail, and the turn is a deep sandy burm.  I rooooost all over 'em and when we get back to the truck they ask me if its a 450!.  Then I say, "Na man, its just a little 250... why?"  as he's shaking the sand and dirt out of his helmet and jersey.... lol

• Like 2

I rode my first full sized four stroke and man i thought the my foot was on the rear brake when i let off the gas

Yep, it's different for sure.  Hey, Let's go fishing !!

• Like 1

Ya, I was gonna say ride a 13 or before and your 14 will feel like a 2stroke. The previous motor engine brakes a lot compared to the new engine. You'll get used to it and learn to use it to your advantage.

• Like 1

Come in to a turn hot, stab the shift lever down and let the rear hang out, stab the throttle when you get to the correct turn angle and she'll straighten up and fly!  Learn to use it.

That is what I was going to say.  The engine braking actually helps you enter corners faster.

• Like 1

What do you guy's do to lessen or decrease the engine braking ? I've been on two strokes all my life so the engine braking is hard to get use to, other than this issue, the bike is fantastic.

Honestly I like engine breaking but I never was a two stroke guy. As for the 2014 I noticed it has more engine braking than previous years but I don't mind it.

What do you guy's do to lessen or decrease the engine braking ?  I've been on two strokes all my life so the engine braking is hard to get use to,  other than this issue,  the bike is fantastic.

Don't let off the gas so fast.  Or ride a 450F for a while, then come back to the 250F.