Sign in to follow this  

Do you like to work on your bike?

Who on here enjoys it? Yesterday I was greasing my swing arm bearings, fixing my power valve, replacing the rear shock spring, and just going over with some maintenance and realized I love working on my bike almost as much as I love riding it. And when parts come in...it's like Christmas all over again. Who feels the same? 

• Like 5

Being new to motorcycles in general I absolutely love it.

The more I work on my bike the more confident I feel about riding it.

• Like 3

I felt the same until the 50’s rolled around.  Then the eye site went, the fingers keep dropping stuff, and the back complains like my wife…..  But I still turn the wrenches, it just takes longer looking for stuff.

Just finished a top end on the DRZ.  New piston kit, timing chain, cams, and gaskets.  Now to take it somewhere and ride it.  Oh yea, Memorial Days here…. Lets go!!!

• Like 5

i need to learn to love it again

at first I did it ( any repair on anything )  because I was to poor to pay for it  and I loved to tinker

then I did it because most places don't do what they are supposed to and may even do damage 

now it is a chore to Me 

but even though I can afford to pay to have stuff fixed I have little faith it will be done correctly  

I just did brakes and Rotors on My superduty and was all dirty and sore   I had to force myself to look at the good side it was done for the price of parts  and it was done correctly plus anything else that needed attention in the same area was addressed  just like when I work on my bike

so thanks for the reminder  I need to go in with  a better outlook  or learn to trust others  or  did I mention go in with a better outlook ? LOL

• Like 1

For me, the word "love" is a little bit of a stretch.  I don't mind doing it because I know the work is done EXACTLY like I want it done and I usually go above and beyond  what a shop would do.  I enjoy THE RESULTS.

• Like 3

i need to learn to love it again

at first I did it ( any repair on anything )  because I was to poor to pay for it  and I loved to tinker

then I did it because most places don't do what they are supposed to and may even do damage 

now it is a chore to Me 

but even though I can afford to pay to have stuff fixed I have little faith it will be done correctly  

I just did brakes and Rotors on My superduty and was all dirty and sore   I had to force myself to look at the good side it was done for the price of parts  and it was done correctly plus anything else that needed attention in the same area was addressed  just like when I work on my bike

so thanks for the reminder  I need to go in with  a better outlook  or learn to trust others  or  did I mention go in with a better outlook ? LOL

Earlier I didn't even want to know how to do anything on the bike. Thought it was too hard, everything seemed too complicated. But I ventured out and tried a few things. Found out how easy it is and got a liking to it. But I can see how it can become dreaded when you do have the money to have someone else do the work for you... 

I enjoy THE RESULTS.

True, true we all do, but I think that's not always the case. Sometimes you make mistakes and the results are not so likable... :banghead:  

No man I hate it. Every time I open up I open up one of those websites for what I need it's like a crack house. All of the sudden you're going "hey that looks fun" or " oohh..been wanting one of those for a while". What ever...I always wind up way over my budget, trying to explain to my wife why the $179 dollar foot pegs are so worth it. Other than that yeah I love to tinker with my ride. I swear it makes me faster.

• Like 2

I'd rather be riding than wrenching.

But i'd rather do my own wrenching than pay a shop $100+/hr to botch the job when i'm perfectly capable of breaking things myself.

• Like 8

No man I hate it. Every time I open up I open up one of those websites for what I need it's like a crack house. All of the sudden you're going "hey that looks fun" or " oohh..been wanting one of those for a while". What ever...I always wind up way over my budget, trying to explain to my wife why the $179 dollar foot pegs are so worth it. Other than that yeah I love to tinker with my ride. I swear it makes me faster.

I don't like that part of it too. If only money wasn't a problem...

• Like 1

I don't like that part of it too. If only money wasn't a problem...

Word. When I was a single guy money was no problem and there really was no budget...of course that wasn't a good thing either. :(

• Like 1

For me, the word "love" is a little bit of a stretch.  I don't mind doing it because I know the work is done EXACTLY like I want it done and I usually go above and beyond  what a shop would do.  I enjoy THE RESULTS.

Precisely.

Working on bikes is a pain in the ass if you ride a lot, the work never ends and it's not optional.

But the alternatives (new bike all the time v.s. idot mechanic breaking my stuff for big money) don't pencil out. 

It's one of those things I have seen time and time again- a guy either does his own work or he eventually leaves the sport.

• Like 4

I'd rather be riding than wrenching.

Yes, that's when "almost as much as riding" comes into play for me.

But i'd rather do my own wrenching than pay a shop $100+/hr to botch the job when i'm perfectly capable of breaking things myself.

If only I didn't know what that was...

Word. When I was a single guy money was no problem and there really was no budget...of course that wasn't a good thing either. :(

In my case single doesn't help. With school and the expensive sport I don't know what a full wallet is...

• Like 1

True, true we all do, but I think that's not always the case. Sometimes you make mistakes and the results are not so likable... :banghead:  

Mistakes???  No.  I read the manual, study the net, ask advice, & decide just how far I can OR should go.  If I made a lot of mistakes, that would make working on my own stuff a LOT more unattractive.  I Would probably give it up entirely.  I can't afford to do ALL that a race bike (or car) NEEDS so it doesn't self destruct.  It's work on it or hold the couch down.

• Like 3

I wouldn't want to risk and make a mistake tinkering around with my bike if I'm not mechanically inclined.  Which is why it's geat to get a junker for cheap, and used that bike as practice.

I find wrenching my bike relaxing, Im in my shop, cold beer and listening to the radio.

• Like 1

Mistakes???  No.  I read the manual, study the net, ask advice, & decide just how far I can OR should go.  If I made a lot of mistakes, that would make working on my own stuff a LOT more unattractive.  I Would probably give it up entirely.  I can't afford to do ALL that a race bike (or car) NEEDS so it doesn't self destruct.  It's work on it or hold the couch down.

I also get all the info I can about something before I do it. That's how I came across TT but I'm not talking about big mistakes. Have not experienced them yet and hopefully never will. What I meant is, the last time I did my top end I forgot to fully tighten the bolts on the power valve cover (I had them finger tight). Put everything back together and during the first ride my bike started making a weird noise. Found out the cover was totally loose. Had to take off the cylinder again to tighten the cover back up. Was not happy with my results...

Edited by BikerGuy

I find I like working on it more when I decide to do it...not when the bike decides it needs to be done (a problem) lol. I dunno why the difference, but its there. While I do most of my own stuff...I am finding I enjoy it less and less compared to actually riding really. Used to feel different, but nowadays, I would just like to do normal maintenance and not worry bout much else.

• Like 2