Crf450x always hard to start

Hi i have a 06 Crf450x with a standard exhaust just has the baffle cut out, also the top of the airbox is cut out, and the carby has a 162 main jet. i have just had it in for a tune and got it back and it still wont start or just starts and stops, the dealer i went to is one and a half hours away so i cant go back there and $375 and it still doesnt work i am not going back, can anyone give me any help i am just about ready to burn it haha, the valves are in spec. it goes hard once it is started and warmed up. i have a fair mechanical knowledge, but im at a loss as what to do.

thanks Shane Mulcahy

thanks for the reply, I will be going to the sticky to suss it all out. also the dealership mechanic also sayed that he would have liked to have changed the pilot jet from 45 to 48 but they had none in stock so he just screwed the needle out, would this cause that. I am ordering a 48 as we speak. thanks Shane Mulcahy

You are going in circles

You probably need a full carb service, since they are recommended once every 40 hours or so.

Hot start plunger, choke plunger, apump system, slide plate seal, fuel screw oring, etc all need to be serviced for you to get good results.

Then, follow the jetting recommendations EXACLTLY, including how to properly adjust your fuel screw

If that doen't do it, your intake valves are leaking (how many times have they been shimmed; I'll bet it's actually time for a head job)

im up for getting the carby done, who would do this as the dealership mechanic seems less than up to the job. and can I get it pressure tested to see if my valves are leaking as I dont know its previous history only know that they are in spec for clearances.

My logical "guesses" are to start by removing and cleaning specifically the pilot jet, then adjusting the valves. Your symptoms point clearly to these two issues. If the bike sat, it's the pilot, if it's been run a lot, it's the valves. I'm assuming someone's already checked the obvious (i.e. the carb boot is tight).

RZ Rob

well the jet should be clean as the dealership had it apart earlier this week. I will check the carby boot is tight. the dealership mechanic also checked the valves were in spec. I will check the pilot jet out and see

thanks Shane mulcahy

I agree with chooken. Who knows what the dealership actually did. I got a work bike back with the muffler bolted to the inside. It crossed over the rear wheel diagonally and pointed left. Just sitting on it caused the rear wheel to rub. Charged us over $500, was only supposed to do front wheel bearings. And the header was loose, the stator cover was loose, the rear swing arm was taken apart and put back together incorrectly . . .