Sign in to follow this  

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 ecodiesel

Im looking for a new truck after my durango is starting to fall down. Anybody have one of these new trucks? apparently orders for them were crazy but I have yet to see one in person. Just wondering how people liked them?

Edited by Tlopez

Not so sure they are actually out yet. As I understand, when Dodge/Fiat announced the truck, they almost immediately had pre-orders for all 8000 that where to be produced for the US. 

Now if Ford would release there Diesel Ranger here in that states....and throw in an F-150....

A few guys have them up here. Problem for me is I can buy a 1 ton diesel for nearly the same price!

Every test I have read about them seems to be fantastic, but be forewarned, owning a diesel truck is not cheap!!

• Like 3

No it's not. I feel bad for my dad driving his..... he's out so much money into that piece of shit. It just recently went off the wagon i guess, turbo is toast, front end issues, fresh rear end issues, overheating problems, burns oil. It went so downhill so fast

I think Dodge is holding their release date until the dealer networks ramp up their service training. Nobody in the dealers knows how to work on them.

A motorhome dealer told me this as I was questioning when they were going to release the diesel van for the small motorhome market.

I would wait at least 6 months after they are released so they can get the bugs out.

The motor is tried and true- used all over the EU, but to homologate it for a US truck may take time to iron out.

Why do people think buying overly technological computer run trucks that get a little better mileage but cost miles more to buy, maintain and fix are better in the long run? 

If you're buying new and selling before the warranty, then sure go ahead and enjoy but if you're not, just buy something else. 

Cost of fuel is simply one part of a much larger thing and that being cost of ownership. That also includes things such as ease to fix and maintain, cost to buy, resale and reliability. New diesels may have good numbers but in the end, they're much more complex and expensive then they ever were and as a result, most of what made a diesel a good truck for people like me was lost. There are systems on there that most engineers probably couldn't understand, there are a million more parts to fail and go wrong (and trust me, the do) and just about everything in that motor is expensive. Not only that but they are very, very hard to work on.

I know we have switched most of our light duty (1 ton duallys) trucks to gassers with much less headaches. My v10 f250 may not get the best mileage but it's been in the family for 14 years and 250,000k with zero problems besides manifold studs. It hauls in the summer and winter and plows too with no problems meanwhile just about every diesel we had has costed thousands of dollars to fix and repair and we can no longer fix them in house as they are far too complex. With parts and labour being as expensive as they are, it just doesn't make sense to own a diesel in a light duty truck and especially one you're not going to be working with.

People think the answer to a cheap to own vehicle is fuel mileage and that may be a factor but as a result we have created these expensive, technological messes that are destined to really screw someone along the lines. 

Too much money. Use the difference you spend on the diesel on a nicely optioned gas powered engine and you'll have years worth of fuel right there. 

Edited by leafsrule16
  • Like 5

Yeah I understand today's diesel are much more complicated and can be expensive to repair. As of yet we haven't decided what to get. Just wanted to see if they were as good as they say they were, obviously time will tell but.. that's why I research as much as possible before buying anything of the sort. Obviously like anything mechanical maintenence is key I've had buddy's diesels have run forever but with this new sophisticated engine in a half ton idk

Edited by Tlopez

Why do people think buying overly technological computer run trucks that get a little better mileage but cost miles more to buy, maintain and fix are better in the long run?

If you're buying new and selling before the warranty, then sure go ahead and enjoy but if you're not, just buy something else.

Cost of fuel is simply one part of a much larger thing and that being cost of ownership. That also includes things such as ease to fix and maintain, cost to buy, resale and reliability. New diesels may have good numbers but in the end, they're much more complex and expensive then they ever were and as a result, most of what made a diesel a good truck for people like me was lost. There are systems on there that most engineers probably couldn't understand, there are a million more parts to fail and go wrong (and trust me, the do) and just about everything in that motor is expensive. Not only that but they are very, very hard to work on.

I know we have switched most of our light duty (1 ton duallys) trucks to gassers with much less headaches. My v10 f250 may not get the best mileage but it's been in the family for 14 years and 250,000k with zero problems besides manifold studs. It hauls in the summer and winter and plows too with no problems meanwhile just about every diesel we had has costed thousands of dollars to fix and repair and we can no longer fix them in house as they are far too complex. With parts and labour being as expensive as they are, it just doesn't make sense to own a diesel in a light duty truck and especially one you're not going to be working with.

People think the answer to a cheap to own vehicle is fuel mileage and that may be a factor but as a result we have created these expensive, technological messes that are destined to really screw someone along the lines.

Too much money. Use the difference you spend on the diesel on a nicely optioned gas powered engine and you'll have years worth of fuel right there.

6bt, 5 speed, 4x4, boxed frame. Never buy another truck again. It would easily do everything and then some. And can be fixed at home

• Like 1

This. For 99.9472341% of buyers a diesel is a total waste. Of course this does not include those who need ego reinforcement.

• Like 2

My neighbor bought a new 14 dodge ecodiesel. He is only getting 14.6 in town. My 08 3500hd gets 15.7. He paid 42k for it. Stripped work truck. They have air suspension like most Mercedes. We find most Benzes need new airbags in the 60 to 70k mileage range. Great idea, but emission regs have ruined the high mileage diesel.

I have been deciding on a new small motorhome.

Mercedes 3.0 TD or a Chevy 6.0 with similar length boxes.

The Mercedes runs great and will get about 13- 13.5  towing, Chevy 9-10.

The 25-30k difference buys a lot of fuel. And I can service the 6.0 easliy.

Looks like we are shooting for the 50k Chevy in lieu of the 80k Mercedes.

Makes sense.

I was able to build one as cheap as $27k.  It's about a $4500 option over the V6 and a $2800 option over the V8, that buys quite a bit of gas. 

It costs more to buy and costs more to run.  But If you look at the older used diesel market, you also can factor a lesser potential depreciation come resale time. So the diesel option might be cost 10% or 20% more at the time of purchase, but it might sell for 40% or 50% more years down the road.

Edited by Ebs

If you look at the older used diesel market, you also can factor a lesser potential depreciation come resale time. So the diesel option might be cost 10% or 20% more at the time of purchase, but it might sell for 40% or 50% more years down the road.

Those are all 3/4 ton and 1 ton work trucks designed to haul. The people buying them buy diesels for the power and economy when gassers aren't enough. I honestly doubt that diesel half tons will hold the same value characteristics and I'm also willing to bet a ton of problems will come up down the road that will hurt value. Super duty's in general hold their values better then half tons it seems, at least in my parts. 

New rams are weak trucks. I almost went that route but I decided not to. They took the truck out of their truck and catered to soccer moms instead of truck buyers. With the state of modern half ton trucks and how downhill they're going, my next purchase of a new truck will (even if I don't need it) be a super duty without a doubt. I want a big, at least semi-simplistic gas v8 and leaf springs. 

Edited by leafsrule16
  • Like 2

Yeah, diesels in the US haven't gone much beyond the heavy haulers.  But you can look at how the few other diesel offerings are doing on the used market.  TDI Volkswagens, Jeep Liberty diesel, etc. all seem to carry a pretty large price premium compared to their gasoline counterparts.  I'd bet the Ram will follow suit.

Edited by Ebs

Wow you guys sure are shitting on a company that engineered arguably the greatest diesel of all time in the 12v Cummins. I for one can't wait for this thing to hit dealers, sure I'll wait a year or two and do my research but I'll be damned if I'm going to let some keyboard warriors determine what truck I'm buying. For a lot of guys on here this thing is about hauling your weekend toys to and fro long distances without stopping. That's exactly what this thing is supposed to do.  I'm ecstatic to see how they turn out, if nothing it's at least reassuring to see one of the big three put out a mid size diesel engine for once.

This. For 99.9472341% of buyers a diesel is a total waste. Of course this does not include those who need ego reinforcement.

This may be so, but they're fast, different, and easy to work on (older ones). The biggest thing I'm gonna end up hauling is a trailer with another truck on it.

Sounds dumb but I'd rather buy a diesel because the way they work is simple, and just clicks with me. No ego factor about it, i just think burning 50-70% of the fuel you give it, running on what is essentially controlled and timed detonation, ridiculous amounts of torque, and factory equipped turbos are cool.

Is it still an ego problem if i drive one because they fascinate me, as opposed to trying to impress others?

This may be so, but they're fast, different, and easy to work on (older ones). The biggest thing I'm gonna end up hauling is a trailer with another truck on it.

Sounds dumb but I'd rather buy a diesel because the way they work is simple, and just clicks with me. No ego factor about it, i just think burning 50-70% of the fuel you give it, running on what is essentially controlled and timed detonation, ridiculous amounts of torque, and factory equipped turbos are cool.

Is it still an ego problem if i drive one because they fascinate me, as opposed to trying to impress others?

I'm interested in one for theses same reasons. Been waiting a long time for someone to hit the market with a half-ton. So, I went and checked one out at the local dealership on Sunday. I hope it does well.

I'm in no position to buy right now, so at least I'll be able to see if any problems come up. The truck itself is meh, but just like with the Cummins back in the day, they took a proven engine and fitted it into a (relatively) cheap truck. I suspect more issues with the truck than the motor.

As far as cost: Taken to the extreme, my 83 F250 w/ 460 is still the best option. Crappy mileage, but parts are cheap, insurance is cheap, and it sure as hell didn't cost $40K. When is a new truck cost effective really? So what if I can get a V8 gasser for $4K less or a 3/4 ton diesel for the same price. 1/2 ton V8s and 1 ton diesels have been available for years and I've owned them. I don't want a 1/2 ton V8. I don't need a 1-ton diesel. When/if the time comes for a new truck (that cost a lot of $$ either way you slice it) I say go for what you want.

Edited by ubu
  • Like 1

I love my '96 Powerstroke dually. Its not my daily driver, but cruising weekend vehicle and it gets used on the farm as well. I will say this about diesel trucks, when it comes time for another truck (if ever) I'm going back in age. And to the person who said Dodge engineered the 12v, sorry but Cummins did. Dodge stuck it in their bodies. Same with IH and Ford. They just throw their own factory programming in it. That's why the 6.0 Ford was problematic, but the IH VT365 (6.0) was very trouble free due to IH's more mild tuning.

• Like 1

Another one, i know a lot of people who buy diesels on a whim, then say they'll never own anything but a diesel again. That's not for no reason, it happened to my padre. He's getting close to buying a third