Sign in to follow this  

Let's talk lighting...

So I've been thinking about changing my lights. I love the DRC edge 2 integrated setup but am a bit apprehensive due to the mixed reviews. I also had a few questions..

1. Is there a clear lens / smoked lens available for the stock taillight and turn signals? I swear I saw one and none of the usual sites have one posted.

2. Is the DRC edge 2 integrated kit worth the $150. Is it bright enough that I won't get rear ended? And people will see it? Tough to tell from the video I saw but I like the pulsing brake light feature.

3. If I do the rear setup any recommendations for what to put up front? I'd like to keep them mounted in the same spots if possible and know I need the 12 o'clock labs turn signal thingy so they flash normal.

4. Will I still have running lights up front if I change them?

5. Any better headlight bulb that won't melt the fairing?

I've completely decked out the bike but haven't screwed with the lighting yet. It's on my radar. Any advice is appreciated .

Thanks

So I've been thinking about changing my lights. I love the DRC edge 2 integrated setup but am a bit apprehensive due to the mixed reviews. I also had a few questions..

1. Is there a clear lens / smoked lens available for the stock taillight and turn signals? I swear I saw one and none of the usual sites have one posted.

2. Is the DRC edge 2 integrated kit worth the $150. Is it bright enough that I won't get rear ended? And people will see it? Tough to tell from the video I saw but I like the pulsing brake light feature.

3. If I do the rear setup any recommendations for what to put up front? I'd like to keep them mounted in the same spots if possible and know I need the 12 o'clock labs turn signal thingy so they flash normal.

4. Will I still have running lights up front if I change them?

5. Any better headlight bulb that won't melt the fairing?

I've completely decked out the bike but haven't screwed with the lighting yet. It's on my radar. Any advice is appreciated .

Thanks

You don't have to get the integrated. I got the DRC tail, but not the integrated. I personally like the new tail with stock blinkers. I used to always get integrated but got tired of people not seeing my blinkers. So I got the clean tail but factory indicators on this bike and very happy with it. Front run stock too. Some aftermarket will have running lights still, but a lot don't. Again, I like to been seen. I've outgrown the cool over function thing haha. The DRC brake lights does seem to be equal in brightness to stock.

Another thing I like about my set up is it appears stock to someone who doesn't know. I've gotten a blinker ticket before in another bike with integrated. Sucked fixing to get ticket signed off.

Also, with my set up, I don't need the 12 o'clock labs thingy to blink normal.

EDIT: forgot why I originally hit reply lol. You can buy stuff at most auto stores that'll smoke any lense. I can't remember name, but it works well. Not as bright afterwards though.

Edited by Old Goat Ninja

I was looking for a safe approach - I wasn't crazy about the DRC Edge 2 integrated solution just because it didn't seem like the best idea to not have the separate turn signals in terms of visibility.  So I went with a DRC Edge 2 tail light, with the 12 o'clock board.  But I didn't wire up the turn signal part - instead I added the DRC turn signals in the back separately.  Seems like the best of both worlds.  I get the tail light safety flash when breaking, but I also get the bright LED turn signals.

Plus, with the factory connector, it is plug and play - I can go back to the factory rear in about 10 minutes.

The nice part about the DRC solution is that is MUCH lighter than the factory solution - you lose 5 pounds off the back (that's a guess).

My plan is to use the DRC lights on the front as well when I get around to it.

Edited by JTallon
  • Like 1

Osram night racers are a good improvement over the stock headlight bulb. Bit brighter and more white in color. 

I went with the DRC integrated setup and am very pleased with it. Normally I wouldn't go integrated as integrated blinkers are hard to see, however, the less stuff hanging off this bike while riding trails/woods the better IMO. Less stuff to break off. One thing to be awareof though is that installing the DRC setup leave a sizeable gap between it and the fender that will need to be plugged unless you want dirt and water flying up there.

IMG_1239.jpg

Check out the DRC write-up in the How-To section. 

I, personally, MUCH prefer the regular DRC setup. The only thing I like about the 12 o'clock labs board is the brighter LEDs. having the stock indicators on the bike makes me feel much more safe. The DRC did a horrible job at notifying followers which direction I was going. It all just blended in to the tail light/brake light. Do yourself a favor and just do the normal DRC and upgrade later if you want to.

• Like 1

i have the integrated2 "new version" one from srmoto. it's pretty bright but not as bright as i was expecting. the brightness also depends on the angle from which they are being viewed--much more so than i would have expected. They appear less bright if you're sitting in an F150 than they do if you're looking at them from, say, a miata.

the pulsing is nice and offsets, in my opinion, the loss of external blinkers. people will see the integrated turn signals flashing and notice you--they may have a hard time figuring out if you are turning left or right because we're talking about such a small lighting area in general, but they will see you (assuming they are not drunk, are paying attention, etc)

you will still have a gap like johnnyutah mentioned but the new kits now come with an additional plate that makes the gap much small than the one pictured.

the 12oclocks labs stuff is high quality but the DRC stuff itself is junk--poorly made with cheap materials.

• Like 2

I am very happy with the Yoshimura and it has a plate that covers the gap and seems to be a high quality part and I think it is a sealed unit. It seems to be plenty bright at night but during the day I really do not know ... this takes me back to wanting to follow my bike just to see how it looks. I also am a fan of external turn signals ...  :thumbsup:  I would like to replace the stockers someday day with a smaller more durable type ... I kept the stock mainly because of all the mods I have done I still want it to appear street legal and not take the chance of being mistaken for a dirt bike if I have had a few cocktails ...  :goofy:

yoshimura-fender-elimination-kit-honda-c

Osram night racers are a good improvement over the stock headlight bulb. Bit brighter and more white in color.

I went with the DRC integrated setup and am very pleased with it. Normally I wouldn't go integrated as integrated blinkers are hard to see, however, the less stuff hanging off this bike while riding trails/woods the better IMO. Less stuff to break off. One thing to be awareof though is that installing the DRC setup leave a sizeable gap between it and the fender that will need to be plugged unless you want dirt and water flying up there.

IMG_1239.jpg

You're missing an entire piece. There's no gap left with the other piece.

You're missing an entire piece. There's no gap left with the other piece.

Can you elaborate on this? I mounted this with everything that came in the package. There was no other piece.

EDIT: Crap, just looked at the 12 oclock labs website where I bought it from. I think they sent me the taillight for the DRZ400 instead of the crf250L  :banghead:.

Or as waygreen said, I may just be running the old version. I am a bit annoyed either way but I don't think there is anyway for me to swap the products without paying for the new version, I don't feel like putting in the effort to swap parts, and I already plugged the gap a while ago.

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

Edited by JohnnyUtah787

Can you elaborate on this? I mounted this with everything that came in the package. There was no other piece.

EDIT: Crap, just looked at the 12 oclock labs website where I bought it from. I think they sent me the taillight for the DRZ400 instead of the crf250L :banghead:.

Or as waygreen said, I may just be running the old version. I am a bit annoyed either way but I don't think there is anyway for me to swap the products without paying for the new version, I don't feel like putting in the effort to swap parts, and I already plugged the gap a while ago.

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

Damn, that sucks! Yeah, mine came with a piece that completely covers that area. I was very happy with how well it looked when I was all said and done with the install.

Damn, that sucks! Yeah, mine came with a piece that completely covers that area. I was very happy with how well it looked when I was all said and done with the install.

Do you have any pictures?

i have the philips x-treme power... i like it... better then stock... yet not blinding to others...  60w x 67w

this is the stock bulb in the package though... i already replaced it.... the philips has a chrome tip....

IMG_20131209_122239_992.jpg

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 1

i have the philips x-treme power... i like it... better then stock... yet not blinding to others... 60w x 67w

this is the stock bulb in the package though... i already replaced it.... the philips has a chrome tip....

IMG_20131209_122239_992.jpg

You had me until you said chrome haha. I haaaaate chrome :D

• Like 1

EDIT: Crap, just looked at the 12 oclock labs website where I bought it from. I think they sent me the taillight for the DRZ400 instead of the crf250L  :banghead:.

Johnny, if you order the 12 o'clocklabs upgraded kit you always get the generic DRZ400 mount. You can only get the CRF specific mount when ordering the normal DRC kit without the upgraded board. 

Last I heard, F.G. had a few CRF specific mounts available. Shoot him a PM if you are interested. His TT username is "creamcheese".

Differences are outlined at the bottom of the DRC Taillight FAQ - http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1073797-drc-edge2-gen1-integrated-tail-light-w-12oclocklabs-board-how-to/

Edited by kray
  • Like 1

Johnny, if you order the 12 o'clocklabs upgraded kit you always get the generic DRZ400 mount. You can only get the CRF specific mount when ordering the normal DRC kit without the upgraded board. 

Last I heard, F.G. had a few CRF specific mounts available. Shoot him a PM if you are interested. His TT username is "creamcheese".

Differences are outlined at the bottom of the DRC Taillight FAQ - http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1073797-drc-edge2-gen1-integrated-tail-light-w-12oclocklabs-board-how-to/

Thanks although I still don't see how this mount covers up the hole that was left between where the original fender was removed and behind/below the new tail light. Really hoping someone can come through with some pictures from angles similar to the ones I took.

The early DRC Edge2 kits sold for the CRFL DID use a DRZ400 bracket, and they were also always sold WITH the 12oclock board because this bracket had no way to mount turn signals to it.  And it left the big gap in the fender like pictured above.

Now there is a NEW bracket specifically for the CRFL that fits much better, covers the gap in the fender, and has means to mount stock or aftermarket signals, overall a much better setup.  This bracket is sold with the normal DRC board OR with the 12oclock upgrade.  I got mine as a package deal with the 12oclock board from SRmoto.

There is already a thread where all this was discussed about the different tail lights.  It may have been in the Luggage/rack thread?  If no one posts any pics of the "new" light/bracket, I may try to post some up tonight.

• Like 2

Thanks although I still don't see how this mount covers up the hole that was left between where the original fender was removed and behind/below the new tail light. Really hoping someone can come through with some pictures from angles similar to the ones I took.

The DRZ mount uses spacers under the piece of steel and hides under the fender. The CRF-specific mount rides just above the frame and pushes the light all the way out to the end of the fender. I'll get some pictures posted when I get home.

I'm at home now trying to get pictures, but it's too dang bright outside, it's hard to see the photos. I'll keep messing with it to get a shot. But mine is completely covered, not open like yours.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400803503.502387.jpg

I'm on my phone, so this is probably a thumbnail. Probably have to click on it. Right now this is only angle I can get a decent shot. But it's completely boxed in, hopefully it shows in picture.