Sign in to follow this  

Let's talk lighting...

Kray

I have the cyclops h4 it's very bright and a huge improvement.

Money well spent. I trimmed the rubber dust seal who that only the fan was sticking out. Seems to be fine. I have ridden to and from work in the rain for 3 days now and no issues

• Like 2

Kray

I have the cyclops h4 it's very bright and a huge improvement.

Money well spent. I trimmed the rubber dust seal who that only the fan was sticking out. Seems to be fine. I have ridden to and from work in the rain for 3 days now and no issues

Very interesting! Did you have to adjust the alignment of the housing after install? It appears that the bulb puts out light at a higher intensity and a higher angle when compared to stock.

I still want one of these ....

3832-EX-00_2.jpg

and replace my dash with .... 

voyager_logo.jpg

The Trail Rider's GPS

voyager_drawing.jpg

• GPS Speed, Distance, Compass, Altitude, Temperature, Maps
  • View, Organize, Edit and Share Entire Trail Systems in 3D
  • Designed Specifically to Meet the Needs of Off-Road Riders
  • 240x400 WQVGA LCD - Readable in Intense Sunlight
  • Engine Performance linked to GPS Data
  • Crash Resistant, Off-Road Design
  • Upload Routes from any GPS
  • Customizable User Screens
  • Model-Specific Integration
  • Accurate Tracks, Even in the Toughest Terrain
  • Runs on Vehicle Power (or internal battery)
  • Back-lit for Operation in the Dark

Patent Protected US D635497, D647343. Other patents pending.

• Like 1

when i talked to the guys at cyclops, they said that light would work but it was better if i got the auxiliary lighting instead... price wise and functionality wise...  but like you gnath, i too want one of them... i think it would look bad arse and be like a freight train at night!!!   ahhhhh,  one day...  

i am gonna jump on the LED light bulb and then wait and see if my man is gonna sell the other projector bulb...  if he doesn't sell it i might get the budget cyclops aux. kit i posted about also... i think that will handle all my night time riding needs...  

putting the stock bulb back in today, it seems so weak compared to my aftermarket one i had...  i am not gonna be happy till i get something...

• Like 2

I have not adjusted it. The beam pattern is similar but 3 times brighter. It doesn't seam to be too offensive to on coming cars. No one has flashed me yet. I had my wife ride at me at night and It wasn't blinding. It makes the stock light look like a candle!

Edited by Shooplick
  • Like 2

just talked to the guys at cyclops... all is good in the hood...  i just placed my order for the LED h4 bulb...    thank you for finding this guys...  and thank you for making me spend money...  lol  

CIL-LEDMD 3600 Lumen H4, H6M LED Headlight bulb 
connector style: H4   $59.95   1   $59.95   Subtotal: $59.95 Discount(s): $0.00 Taxes:
$0.00
Shipping:
$9.64
TOTAL: $69.59

• Like 2

My Cyclops H4 bulb is in my mailbox ready for me to install tonight! More to come, folks...

Don't forget to use Coupon Code "ADV" at checkout for a nice little discount to forum users.

Edited by K.Ray

:ride:  Installed My Cyclops H4 bulb today. Will test it out tonight. It sure looks bright

• Like 2

Cyclops H4 LED Headlamp Bulb

Let me begin by saying I'm not affiliated with Cyclops Adventure Sports nor any other vendor. I am simply an average guy installing and reviewing this product.

I had high hopes for this LED bulb. I first learned of the Cyclops product via ADVpulse.com. They ran a fairly extensive review here and did a great job of capturing how it can improve the stock KTM lighting in the 990 Adventure model they tested with.

I decided I would reach out to Cyclops and see if I could get a test unit for both of my motorcycles - Honda CB500X & Honda CRF250L. After an initial email response from Cyclops I did not heard back from them. I decided I would risk the coin out of my own pocket and purchased a H4 LED unit a few days later for testing. Total price was $63.59 with a $6.00 forum discount and $9.64 USPS shipping.

I selected normal USPS shipping and assumed I wouldn't see the LED for at least a week. To my surprise it was here in just a few days. Impressive! You can tell this company really takes pride in their product even before you open the box. All of the packaging had the appearance of a top-notch product. Attention to detail was quite evident. 

Pusd9aLl.png

Inside the box more of the same. A rather complex LED bulb system with integrated fan and slick wiring harness is very tightly secured inside foam packaging. You also get some generic paperwork and a slew of H4 adapter plates. 

xiEe0x3l.png

Prying the bulb from the foam you feel it's dense and reassuring plastic shell. Anyone who's changed a halogen glass bulb knows it's a procedure straight out of a bomb defusing movie scene. The Cyclops LED bulb softly begs you to try  to break it. I restrained myself.

xPUcleYl.png

7lgVaEnl.png

Stock Halogen Bulb:

I had to make do with what I had so setup in my "dark" garage. I decided to initially install the Cyclops bulb in my 2014 Honda CB500X. The motorcycle was on its centerstand with the headlight 8ft 10in from the wall. This was as far back as I could get it. The top of the stock halogen pattern was measured at 2ft 10in from the ground. The temperature(color) is approximately 3000k-4000k (yellowish). Light output is refined and exactly where the Honda engineers intended in terms of seeing the road but not blinding oncoming traffic.

m9DJ0uym.png dqx3KOcm.png

Cyclops LED Bulb:

First you need to remove your stock bulb and figure out what adapter plate you need to utilize on your LED bulb. A quick side by side comparison told me which to use. Using a philips head screwdriver you remove the metal  base on the bulb for shipping and reattach the adapter plate needed for your application. Now you're ready for installation.

Y8v3eBFl.png

The Cyclops LED bulb is hefty. It took some time to figure out how to wrangle the bulb into the CB500X's housing. There's little to no room between the forks and the bulb's home. To complicate matters you have to slip the wire spring in between the fan and the bulb plate while making sure everything lines up just right. It took several tries but I eventually had everything in place. Next, you need to cut the stock rubber boot to accept the new fan assembly sticking out from your LED bulb. I made short work of this with a utility knife of the sharp variety. The whole procedure took maybe 30-40 minutes.

R2fVAtCl.png

Truth time. I turn the key to see what kind of daylight this thing can artificially muster up. 

I'm impressed and let down all at the same time. The light output certainly seems increased but the beam is nearly 2ft higher from stock position and doesn't spread like the stock halogen does. This is exactly what I was fearing. From reading other posts and looking at photos of other installations it appeared to me that the Cyclops LED bulb was aimed far higher than stock bulbs. This helped give the impression that there was more coverage from the light. Also, the temperature(color) is definitely higher, probably around 5000k-6500k(white/blue). It gives the impression of a HID bulb. Very classy!

The Cyclops LED bulb pattern doesn't have a clear cut-off. I approximate the top of the pattern between 4ft 2in and 4ft 9in. This is almost exactly 2ft higher than the stock bulb pattern. The Cyclop's pattern also appears biased to the left and a bit more narrow. I'm unsure if it's due to me installing it improperly or perhaps manufacturing quality control. 

bq9qx3im.png vFGB8ism.png

Here's a quick side by side comparison of the stock pattern vs the Cyclops pattern. You can see the stock pattern extends right past the electrical outlet on the passenger side and goes well beyond the driver's side piece of tape. In comparison the Cyclops pattern is more center oriented not reach as far driver or passenger side. It's also fair to note that the white-balance is higher for the stock bulb because the Cyclops bulb was so much brighter.

m9DJ0uym.png bq9qx3im.png

After adjusting the CB500X's housing down as far as it would go I still couldn't get the pattern to meet the stock height. I believe it's close enough that I won't severely blind on-coming traffic but I fear I've ruined the advantages of the LED bulb now. Fair to once again note that this system is sold for off-road use only and isn't approved by the Department of Transportation for public highway use. 

Judging how the Cyclop's LED beam appeared after a direct swap and no adjustment I can certainly see how it could help an off-road application.

WVxe0asl.png

I look forward to taking the bike out after night fall to see how variables have changed. The CRF250L and CB500X share the exact same headlight housing so I plan on standing them next to each other for an impressive side-by-side comparison. More to come!

To be continued...

Edited by K.Ray
  • Like 2

I had to bend the spring retaining clip to mount mine. The end of the clip with the locking tab was pushing on the fan shroud causing the bulb to sit at an angle in the housing making the beam pattern weird.

Once I bent the clip the beam moved down closer to where it should be

It's still higher than stock but it's not offensive like an hid or driving with your brights on. But you will be able to see every street sign reflecting white light back at you from a mile away!

Edited by Shooplick
  • Like 2

I had to bend the spring retaining clip to mount mine. The end of the clip with the locking tab was pushing on the fan shroud causing the bulb to sit at an angle in the housing making the beam pattern weird.

Once I bent the clip the beam moved down closer to where it should be

It's still higher than stock but it's not offensive like an hid or driving with your brights on. But you will be able to see every street sign reflecting white light back at you from a mile away!

Any chance you could get a photo or draw a picture of how your clip is now? I have zero visibility on the CB so no clue what it looks like in there. I was going by touch alone.

After a very poor test ride late last night I adjusted the housing back up to stock position this morning. Things seem to be better now and no one has flashed me yet. I also noticed that the two top LEDs are two different colors. The driver's side LED appears to be a ~4000K unit and the passenger side LED appears closer to ~5500K. Do you notice this on yours?

Cyclops H4 LED Headlamp Bulb

To be continued...

Very nice write up ...  :thumbsup:

I look forward to your real world testing and review ...   :cheers:

• Like 1

Very nice write up ...  :thumbsup:

I look forward to your real world testing and review ...   :cheers:

Thanks Gnath! Hopefully tonight if these storms hold off.

• Like 1

Kray, I'll try to get a pick of the clip that I bent.

Did not notice a color difference and am surprised that your not blind after looking right at the led!

I have not had anyone flash me ( with high beams or boobs) on the crf with the led bulb but riding home from work at night with the stock bulb was horrible. The led is a big improvement

Edited by Shooplick
  • Like 2

Kray, I'll try to get a pick of the clip that I bent.

Did not notice a color difference and am surprised that your not blind after looking right at the led!

I have not had anyone flash me ( with high beams or boobs) on the crf with the led bulb but riding home from work at night with the stock bulb was horrible. The led is a big improvement

Haha, I noticed this morning on my commute from the reflection in the car ahead of me. I confirmed by looking back at the photos I took and you can see a color difference from top to bottom and left to right. Come to think of it I didn't see any "high-beams" on my ride either. 

bq9qx3ih.png

i am putting in my cyclops led lamp today...  and same here about shipping...  it was to my door in 2 days with standard shipping...  i rode with the stock lamp in for 2 weeks to "remember" what the stock light was like...  and i came to the conclusion that it still sucks... lol...  to be fair, it does well in most cases...  but i am riding home after midnight mostly... an hour commute with the stock light shows you the down falls to it..

K.RAY, awesome write up...  i took a picture of my LED and then just seen your post...  my little picture is not needed now...  lol  thank you for the review and thank you for making me feel almost let down before i put it in....  hahahaha  

just kidding... lol

in the long haul i will be looking to get cyclops aux LED lighting also (with their dimmer too)

once again, thank you for the write up...

• Like 1

i am putting in my cyclops led lamp today...  and same here about shipping...  it was to my door in 2 days with standard shipping...  i rode with the stock lamp in for 2 weeks to "remember" what the stock light was like...  and i came to the conclusion that it still sucks... lol...  to be fair, it does well in most cases...  but i am riding home after midnight mostly... an hour commute with the stock light shows you the down falls to it..

K.RAY, awesome write up...  i took a picture of my LED and then just seen your post...  my little picture is not needed now...  lol  thank you for the review and thank you for making me feel almost let down before i put it in....  hahahaha  

just kidding... lol

in the long haul i will be looking to get cyclops aux LED lighting also (with their dimmer too)

once again, thank you for the write up...

DO NOT adjust your housing. I have still yet to get out during the dark hours due to thunderstorms but what little dusk riding I've done shows that the LED light needs to be in the stock position to throw the proper pattern. It will appear like you're going to blind on-coming traffic but I haven't been flashed yet. I will do a proper road drive by to test this as soon as it stops storming here.

AKA, just throw the LED in and ride.

• Like 1

regarding the 2 different color LED's...  i know (i wont get into how i know, lol) but to get a true "daylight" and natural tone light, you need to run multiple kelvin ratings...  example, a 3100k light and a 6000k light will give you a really good light tone...  but if you can run a 2000k, 3000k, 4000k, 5000k, 6000k, and 8000k and you will get even closer to a true light...    just like a car that has regular headlights on with the amber fog lights, you will see way better and be able to read the road much, much better...  

example, the lights in my hallway were all 6000k cfl...  there are 4 of them..  my hallway was very bright and almost abnoxious...    so i replace on lamp with a 2700k and one 4300k lamp and now my hallway has a natural "sunny day" type light to it.. no longer harsh, no longer blueish... you can see a piece of lint on the carpet now that you couldn't see before...  but you can also see the imperfections in the painting or spackling job on the wall...   lol  

sorry if this is not useful, but after seeing your 2 toned light, its all i can think of...  

regarding the 2 different color LED's...  i know (i wont get into how i know, lol) but to get a true "daylight" and natural tone light, you need to run multiple kelvin ratings...  example, a 3100k light and a 6000k light will give you a really good light tone...  but if you can run a 2000k, 3000k, 4000k, 5000k, 6000k, and 8000k and you will get even closer to a true light...    just like a car that has regular headlights on with the amber fog lights, you will see way better and be able to read the road much, much better...  

example, the lights in my hallway were all 6000k cfl...  there are 4 of them..  my hallway was very bright and almost abnoxious...    so i replace on lamp with a 2700k and one 4300k lamp and now my hallway has a natural "sunny day" type light to it.. no longer harsh, no longer blueish... you can see a piece of lint on the carpet now that you couldn't see before...  but you can also see the imperfections in the painting or spackling job on the wall...   lol  

sorry if this is not useful, but after seeing your 2 toned light, its all i can think of...  

I'm now thinking I saw the reflection of my side-running-light mixed in with the headlight. I would really really like it if Cyclops dropped the kelvin rating of these LED units though. It appears to be too blue around 6000K. I prefer a 4500K wave myself.

Edited by K.Ray