Sign in to follow this  

heavy duty vs ultra heavy duty inner tubes.

What kind of tubes are you guys using in your mx bikes? I've long heard that heavy duty are plenty for MX but i have some buddies of mine say they wouldnt use anything less than ultra heavy duty. what would be the advantage on the track. would a ultra heavy duty just stand up better againt if there was a stray rock on the track and you hit it head on? thanks! 

ps ive always used heavy duty. im just curious.

Greg

In my opinion, all you need for MX are heavy duty tubes. I'd only use the ultras for things like woods riding or desert stuff. Places where you end up hitting lots of sharp edges which can cause pinch flats. Ultras really do make handling more sluggish as it adds unsprung weight to the bike.

Use standard tubes.  Heavy duty tubes are overkill and add tons of un-sprung weight.  Don't tell me you're one of the guys that won't run an O/X ring chain too cause they are "heavy" and "kill HP"

Use standard tubes. Heavy duty tubes are overkill and add tons of un-sprung weight. Don't tell me you're one of the guys that won't run an O/X ring chain too cause they are "heavy" and "kill HP"

Haha no I was just curious lol

What kind of tubes are you guys using in your mx bikes? I've long heard that heavy duty are plenty for MX but i have some buddies of mine say they wouldnt use anything less than ultra heavy duty. what would be the advantage on the track. would a ultra heavy duty just stand up better againt if there was a stray rock on the track and you hit it head on? thanks! 

ps ive always used heavy duty. im just curious.

Greg

Honestly dude, you can run either/or and be completely fine.  I guess one advantage of running UHD is you could probably run a little lower tire pressure and not worry about snake bites.  Some guys who read too much MXA  and interwebs jargon are gonna say that UHD tubes add too much rotating/unsprung/flux-capacitating/whatever mass thus affecting performace.  Truth of the matter is unless you are a fast pro you won't notice...and if you are a fast pro you're probably running Bibs anyways (which have there own handling flaws but save you costly DNF's).  I'll bet my paycheck that UHD tubes won't affect your riding style one iota, and if you race, will never cost you a position.  In my "tube' set of wheels I run the bridgestone UHD.  They are the thickest on the market and are way overkill for Georgia Clay but I promise you will probably roach your wheels before you wear out one of these tubes.  

Edited by andrew34