Sign in to follow this  

Cooling system issues?

Help me out guys. 2006 Drz sm with a lot of miles but runs great. Ok so yesterday took it for a ride and did an offroad hill climb and it got hot. Red light. Took it for a ride today and at a stoplight it got hot again and dumped some coolant. Got home and pulled the fan.. Doesnt work.. Ok thats the problem. Then i started reading and it doesnt seem like most peopel even have the fan come on. It was 82deg today so not that hot.

So i can order a fan no problem but do I have another issue? I plan to go thru the sysem at some point and change hoses etc. but do i need to do all that now? What should i loom at?

You might have other problems, but with no fan that's where to start. Mine will just boil without one.

Capn , the bike also has a thermostat and a temp sensor of some sort to operate the fan , so it could be an idea to check these aswell . It could be a good idea to clean the system at the same time and change the fluid if its due , greg

how does it do when riding? did it cool down when you were cruising? how many miles and when was the last time you remember when you serviced the cooling system? if your thermostat isnt opening up fully it holds some pressure which makes it hot especially if your hillclimbing or in stop and go traffic. i would service that cooling system and while your at it tae the thermostat out and heat up some water in a can warming i with a blow torch or anything and get it to about 200 degrees with the thermostat in it and it should fully open up. try that if you really think its a fan. i would try to find a cheap aftermarket one oem fan is rediculously  expensive

Help me out guys. 2006 Drz sm with a lot of miles but runs great. Ok so yesterday took it for a ride and did an offroad hill climb and it got hot. Red light. Took it for a ride today and at a stoplight it got hot again and dumped some coolant. Got home and pulled the fan.. Doesnt work.. Ok thats the problem. Then i started reading and it doesnt seem like most peopel even have the fan come on. It was 82deg today so not that hot.

So i can order a fan no problem but do I have another issue? I plan to go thru the sysem at some point and change hoses etc. but do i need to do all that now? What should i loom at?

most people have exhausts so loud they can't hear dick. 

get a fan, test it with 12v fused, install it, then test it in the same circumstances. if the circuits are working, it will come on and cool the bike nicely. 

mine cycles on/off in slow traffic on hot days. on/off in tight single track. always off if the bike is running more than 12-15 mph, there is plenty of air flow at that speed. 

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Yeah I guess I'm going to go thru the whole system and check it out. I have only had it about a year but I have gone thru and replaced most everything else. Sucks that it is finally riding weather but I have another bike:) 

The fan comes on for sure,  out here it gets hot,  many times i see the red light on and the fan is working,   i bought the manual OFF/ON fan switch so i can turn it on before it gets really hot,  i also have a TTO temp gauge to show the running temps,  once it gets to 170 or so i turn the fan on. 

I haven't had a fan on mine for about 3-4 years.  I rarely ride it on the street.  I've had the same issue with it overheating and shooting out coolant, but it's usually only when I'm riding on singletrack in Utah (where it's a lot hotter) and I'm not getting it out of 2nd gear.  I never really have any overheating problems when I'm riding in CO.  I'm gonna get a fan so I can put it back on when I'm riding in warmer climates.  Also bought a 1.6 radiator cap from Wheeling Cycle Supply, we'll see if that helps. 

you can buy the fan override switch for $20 which is the cheapest route, I had to replace my temp sensor which was about $50 I think but I now have the fan override  switch as well, the temp switch was the cause of my fan not running when hot

Just an update for anyone interested.. I took the fan off and rebuilt it, works now and flushed and replaced the coolant. All good now, did an idle test and a long test ride. In hindsight im pretty sure i may have been a little low on coolant when i did the hill climb and with no fan it got hot and puked coolant which made it lower still. Im probably going to add a head temp gage soon just for insurance.

By the way the fan is far from waterproof, there are a couple of weep holes in the case and the stator was rusted so i fixed all that and reassembled. Not a hard job for anyone in the same boat and they are very pricy. There are some good alternatives out there but this was the easiest route.

• Like 2