Sign in to follow this  

random clatter after rebuild?

I hope you guys can point me in the right direction with this: 

Starting the bike after rebuilding the top end, sounded fine, but i have to put it on a high idle for it not to stall.  Let it cool, restarted it and heard a knarly raddle, killed it, restarted it and it ran fine, this happened with the next cycle i ran it through as well.  Pulled the valve cover and the valves are in spec.  The manual is vague in how to install the cam chain tensioner, i just screwed it in and then rewound the tensioner, i have no idea what they are referring to with using the stopper tool.

If I was you I'd order a manual cam chain tensioner. If it was a spalling noise then it's prob your cam chain and regardless the tensioner needs to be replaced with a new cam chain when you do the top end. Mise we'll buy a manual one and never have to buy another one.

If I was you I'd order a manual cam chain tensioner. If it was a spalling noise then it's prob your cam chain and regardless the tensioner needs to be replaced with a new cam chain when you do the top end. Mise we'll buy a manual one and never have to buy another one.

I didn't see anything in the manual about replacing the cam chain or tensioner.  Is there a service limit for these, or is recommended to replace when doing the top end?

I didn't see anything in the manual about replacing the cam chain or tensioner. Is there a service limit for these, or is recommended to replace when doing the top end?

new oem chain and tensioner every top end unless you like just winging it. ESP if it's a high hour bike. Edited by Diggla117

You can get a very well made manual tensioner right here from the TT store. Plus you help keep this free forum going I have one of these on my bike. Many others here have it...  https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/ThumperTalk-Manual-Cam-Chain-Tensioner-ENG-TT-MCCT1-p2006766344.html

The stock auto tensioner works great, until it fails, and that can be a recipe for a very expensive catastrophe and possibly even bodily injury. do a search and you will find many posts on the subject. Do yourself a favor and replace that POS auto tensioner

Edited by mrmoto35
  • Like 2

Did you release the OEM tensioner? Id be surprised if it stayed retracted, but I guess it could happen. You need to reach in there and make sure its set. That noise is the cam chain rattling the hell out of the guides.

Now, the OEM tensioner is only a little more reliable than say, Courtney Love? Ethier replace it ever 25 hours or buy a new manual one, set it once and never have to mess with it again.

• Like 2

Thanks for the quick feedback guys, I went ahead and ordered a manual tensioner on the fourm's  store.  These bikes sure know how to eat paychecks.