Sign in to follow this  

$20 Reward Offered On Seal Coller Information

Like the title says, I'm in need of a seal collar for a rear rim that has a Talon hub in it. I bought these rims used and the guy said they were a direct fit for my 2001 Honda CR250. Of course, he either lied out-right, or maybe he honestly thought they would fit, but they take a different size seal collar than what is on my bike.

I tried the original seal collars out of my original Honda rear rim and the seal collars are TOO LARGE where the seals ride. I can't put my original collars into the seals at all.. The guy said these rims would fit the CRF250R's as well so I bought a set of seal collars for a 2005 CRF250R and they are the same size as the ones on my 2001 CR250.

I happened to find a used seal collar laying around that is PERFECT but I only have one. The O/D of the seal collar where the seal rides is 30MM, and the ID where the axle passes through is 25MM.  The O/D of the seal that is in these Talon Hubs is approximately 45.7MM. I was trying to measure the O/D of a seal already installed in the rear hub so please forgive me if the O/D measurement for the seal is not correct. Also I am using a set of calipers that measure in inches, and I am trying to convert to MM.

I'll offer $20 by Pay-Pal to the first person who can identify the collar that I need. This is not a joke. I am in desperate need.

I just finished rebuilding my engine and have started it twice but can't ride the bike, or break the engine in, because I can't get the rear tire installed without the collar. Please HELP!

I'm not sure that I understand completely what you mean, but it seams like the outside diameter of the oem collar is larger than the inside diameter of the seals.

But how about the length of the collar? Is that correct? If so, sourcing another seal  that would fit would not be that hard.

If that's not the case, try to figure out the dimensions of the collar you need and have a word with the guys at pivot works. Friendly people with a crapload of different collars in stock. one might fit.

Appreciate the info guys. I just found a post about QTM out in Anaheim, Ca, that supposedly sells the spacers. I just PRAY TO GOD that they have what I need.

It appears that unless you buy these wheel sets new explicitly for your machine, finding the parts needed to adapt them is like finding alien artifacts.

I hope people find this post and avoid the drama I find myself in. DON'T BUY USED EXCEL WHEELS/TALON HUBS UNLESS YOU INSTALL THEM ON YOUR BIKE & VERIFY FIT FIRST. 

For a few dollars more, I could have bought new and avoided all of this BS.

On the earlier talon wheels, they had their own collars for their wheels. On later models they changed it. So as I mentioned previously, just contact them Dubya wheels. They should have them.

Mx you realize that Dubya is out of the UK right? Their web site is LESS THAN USELESS.   You can go to their web page and click on Products, then Wheel Components, then HUBS, then TALON HUBS, then Talon Hub Components, then SPACERS and it just pulls up a picture of 2 spacers.. Is that not awesome?!?!?!?!?

I'll call QTM tomorrow to see if they have what I need. If they do not, these rims are going on Craigslist.

I just noticed that both QTM & the "USA" Dubya are in the same area code of 714. Wonder if they are the same company.. We shall see.

I downloaded the catalog and found the spacer part numbers that I need. Will call QTM tomorrow and see if they have what I need.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

QTM no longer sells individual parts for Talon Hubs/Excel Wheels. Called Dubya directly and ordered what I need from a nice lady who could tell me nothing about measurements...... I told her what type of bike I had, and she said she could only sell me the spacer kits that her system shows will fit my bike.. Hopefully what I get in the mail will work. Otherwise, I'll be seeing a machinist to get this sorted out.

If they are a direct drop in/bolt-in fit requiring no modification then of course I will honor my offer. Otherwise if they don't fit, can I send them to you and you can machine them for me to work?????? Just kidding. Sent you a PM with my phone number. Give me a couple days to receive them and we will see what we are working with.

MXandSXracer21 is the grand prize winner of the $20. The spacers came in yesterday and they are a perfect fit. They are kind of odd in how they engage the seal, but apparently they will work.  The surface area where the seal should ride is smaller than the ID of the seal, but there is a lip on the spacer that presses up against the outter edge of the seal thereby stopping dust/dirt/contaminates from getting into the seal. Odd, but they are going to have to work.

Can you post up a picture of the spacer and seal kit? Are the spacers steel?

I'm also using Talon hubs w/ 18" excel rims, and my Talon spacers are smaller than the stock ones.

Jedd, I can only post a pic of them installed as they are already on the bike. They are very thin, light-weight, aluminum spacers. I only got the spacers I did not get seals with my kit.

Your talon spacers SHOULD BE smaller where the seal surface rides. My factory spacers were too large to fit inside the seals on my Talon hubs.

Payment made to MXandSX... Thank you for your help!