Tire talk

I'm running Kenda Washoughals, my wife is running 403/404 combo....

I'm loving the Washoughals, HUGE knobs, bigger than the 404, the front grips everything that I've ridden on so far. There so stable that it takes me a few miles, every ride, to remember how well they grip...even high rocky berms!

• Like 1

the trakmaster II front might be the worst tire ever made. it's a rear tread pattern made narrower and then called a front tire. terrible front tire tread pattern...washes out like crazy.

the rear is probably the best DOT knobby in the dirt. but, if you don't have to run DOT tires, there are better choices.

i like the pirelli XCMH front and the pirelli MT-16 rear myself.

the trakmaster II front might be the worst tire ever made. it's a rear tread pattern made narrower and then called a front tire. terrible front tire tread pattern...washes out like crazy.

the rear is probably the best DOT knobby in the dirt. but, if you don't have to run DOT tires, there are better choices.

i like the pirelli XCMH front and the pirelli MT-16 rear myself.

have you tried the 486

how do they compare

and what type of terrain do you ride?

Tried and true Bridgestone 403/404 best track tire for overall conditions anywhere. If I could only have one set anywhere I go this would be the one.

Where do you ride?

rocks?

sand?

clay?

dezert?

woods?

track?

just curious,

i looked and the tread patter bares some similarities with a 486 pirelli

so i don't doubt they work well and wouldn't be against trying  them.

As I said best track tire in overall conditions. I ride mx only. Mostly clay, hardpack, and some sand. The mx52 is just as good but I'm a Bridgestone guy. In rocky conditions they don't fair as well and neither would any intermediate tire. In mud or sand I lean towards the 203/204 a softer compound. If your not to particular about traction just buy the kenda desert A.T. They're cheap and last last twice as long.

Oh just say it....... you're secretly in love with Cheng Shin tires. Ain't no shame in admitting, buddy.

How's the sixth gear and super bike shifting and 100,000 mile rebuild working for you? Either

A. Your a really good rider talking smack or

B. Your a newbie and don't know

Either way I notice your in California and I am going to milestone ranch saturday. I would love to show you the roost those bridgestones throw

have you tried the 486

how do they compare

and what type of terrain do you ride?

i have not tried a 486. so can't comment on how they compare.

we have a little bit of everything around here except sand. pretty much all woods. lots of clay in some spots. mostly tight, technical single track, but also some fast, open quad trails. lots of mud in spring. fair amount of rocks. lots of roots. lots of steep hills.

Edited by LittleRedToyota

I'm running Kenda Washoughals, my wife is running 403/404 combo....

I'm loving the Washoughals, HUGE knobs, bigger than the 404, the front grips everything that I've ridden on so far. There so stable that it takes me a few miles, every ride, to remember how well they grip...even high rocky berms!

I've also heard good things about the Washoughals and Triples from Kenda.. they are my next tires.  The 403/404 combo rocks, but the Kendas are superior in some terrain (or so I've heard from reliable people).

I mainly just ride for fun, I start racing this year with the old farts ?

Front: I run whatever the king of the hill is in a mid/soft tire, This year it seems to be the MX32

Rear: I loved the MX51 (HATED the front) loved my mid/soft Pirelli, And right now its having a Starcross MH3 put on. I'm trying to find a good combination of grip and tire life. I dont want to be putting a new tire on every month. So I buy what ever is cheap and has solid traction/life reviews. 

I ride a combo of hard pack, sand and mud(roots) alberta is wierd that way, you go from super hard packed dirt to a random sand patch for 40' then back to dirt hahaha..