Sign in to follow this  

Reinstalling rear wheel a pain...any tips?

I don't remove my rear wheel all that often, so it is a real pain to reinstall it by myself (very little practice). Any tips? Remove the brake pads first?  :D

Service manual that I paid all that money for? It actually says "Reinstall the rear wheel". That's it! No helpful details.

Edited by LSHD

It sucks a ever gets easier spacers are always falling out can't get it aligned by yourself brake pads come unclipped (leave them in) just suffer through it

I don't remove my rear wheel all that often, so it is a real pain to reinstall it by myself (very little practice). Any tips? Remove the brake pads first:D

Service manual that I paid all that money for? It actually says "Reinstall the rear wheel". That's it! No helpful details.

Are you having particular trouble with getting the disk brake back in the caliper? Use a screw driver to pry the pads apart.

should not be difficult at all, use a big screw driver to move the brake pads apart, lift the wheel high and drop down so you get the tyre past the brake disc protector and the chain guide, make sure the spacers are in place in the hubs, and slide the wheel all the way forward so you can get the chain on, then pull the wheel back keeping it level (put your foot under the wheel to keep it at correct height) so the spacers dont come out and then slide the axel in.

Allways clean the axel and use a very light sand paper to clean any brown rusty marks off the axel, use a marine grease to lube the axel before putting it in.

If you really battling then maybe I should make a youtube video.       

Edited by Shawn250

also pack grease in your bearing area and spacers. It will hold em in placefor ya and keep water out

It sucks a ever gets easier spacers are always falling out can't get it aligned by yourself brake pads come unclipped (leave them in) just suffer through it

Thanks for all the replies. I usually have the same problem as Jake, my freaking brake pads pop loose or the brake clip jacks on me. Separating the pads is easy enough, but I have had a hard time getting the wheel off without messing up the brakes, which turns putting the wheel on into two jobs (fixing the brakes!).

YouTube video would be awesome. :smirk: