Sign in to follow this  

Important issue for 2014 CRF250R owners

I have come across more than a handful of new 2014 CRF250R with the lower, larger-diameter, headstay hangar bolts installed in the incorrect side of the bike!

There are 2 different length bolts and they thread directly into the cylinder head. The longer bolt is supposed to go on the right-hand side and the shorter bolt on the left-hand side, due to the different thicknesses of the headstay mounting hanger plates at the 2 different thru-bolt locations.

With these two bolts swapped, there could be insufficient thread engagement on the right side with that shorter bolt. This is, potentially, an issue upon torquing the bolt and/or during competitive vehicular operation. Also, the longer bolt improperly installed on the left-hand side could (technically) bottom out inside some head castings, but I haven't seen that issue yet. The shouldered section could run into the threads on the head, as well, haven't checked on that, yet. I haven't done any engineering calculations, nor will I, in regards to amount of threads required per bolt per side to ensure that the design intent of these fasteners is met with the incorrect installation. Once you see the issue, you'll KNOW it needs to be corrected, and it is not "ok".

I have checked the microfiche and it shows the longer bolt in the correct spot, on the right-hand side.

Please, all 2014 CRF250R owners should remove both of these bolts to be sure they are of proper length and are installed on the correct side. The proper bolt location is as follows, with both bolts requiring 40lb-ft of assembly torque:

----------------

Right = 37mm

Left = 30mm

The 2013+ CRF450R bolts are in the reverse location (long on left, short on right) due to its different hanger requirements, and my bet is the assembly employees, and maybe even their op-sheets, have them put the longer bolt on the left-hand side in both the 250 and 450 bikes. But just a hunch of course!

Have a nice day. Braaap.

Edited by Eddie8v
  • Like 1

Thanks for the post..... found that mine were incorrect too.

Great! It's scary how few threads engage on that right-hand side with those bolts swapped.

Thanks Eddie! :worthy:   Checked my son's '14 and they were also incorrect. 

I checked mine a few nights ago and yes the longer bolt is on the left side of the bike, however I do think that there is plenty of bolt threaded into the hole on the right (shorter bolt). I took a buddy of mines forks in to my local Honda shop and talked to their head tech, asked him if he's heard anything about this issue. He did not, but said he would look around for service bulletins. My guess is from the factory they put the shorter bolt in the right because of the way the header pipe is routed. (Could be easy to cross thread bolt) I would think that if this were to cause any issues Honda dealers would get a letter or a service bulletin regarding the fix. Thanks

Likely won't cause an issue. But it sure could. Especially for a Pro rider. Wrong is wrong, and a handful of threads isn't enough for a steel bolt in aluminum threads. Most teams disassemble and reassemble the bike a lot, like at least once per week. Wear on those threads could be all that's needed to make them weak enough to pull out. If you feel confident in running the shorter bolt on the right side by all means, do so. But there's no way that's the intent from the factory. I already conferred with Honda and the microfiche parts diagrams agree with me.

I agree with you fully, like I said I switched mine. I would have thought that the dealers would have some sort of document stating that it needed addressed. My honda dealer does not sell a ton of race bikes on a regular basis though. Thanks for the info.

Typically 2 full threads of engagement is sufficient for safe use. But in this case, there is no reason not to change them just for the sake of safety.

I don't know who told you that "2 full threads of engagement is sufficient for safe use" but that is a very wrong blanket statement!!! 2 full threads, in this case, surely cannot handle the 40lb-ft of torque the steel bolt requires upon installation into the aluminum head. 5 is cutting it close. Aluminum head vs steel bolt. Put some washers under one of your bolts until only 2 threads engage and crank her up to 40lb-ft and let me know what happens. There are many general rules for engagement, but they depend on many things, like thread pitch, bolt strength, receiving material strength, thread pitch, etc. Edited by Eddie8v

Here are the part numbers and the bolt sizes....

Left Flange Bolt, Part #16:       90102-MEN-A30     BOLT, FLANGE (10X30)

Right Flange Bolt, Part #19:     90105-MEN-A30     BOLT, FLANGE (10X37)

CRF250R+Frame.gif

Hmmm

Edited by nimj

Is this on 450s also or just 250

Just the 250 to date...