Sign in to follow this  

Any one person sag measuring techniques?

Is there any way for someone to measure their own sag, without others helping out? My wife is always on an opposite schedule and my neighbors aren't too helpful. I have a wheel chock I can put my front wheel in for balance and an MSR sliding sag scale. I set my shock spring preload at 6mm per Racetechs recommendations so I should be in the ballpark.

Edited by jermag24

Is there any way for someone to measure their own sag, without others helping out? My wife is always on an opposite schedule and my neighbors aren't too helpful. I have a wheel chock I can put my front wheel in for balance and an MSR sliding sag scale. I set my shock spring preload at 6mm per Racetechs recommendations so I should be in the ballpark.

lol what a pickle...Maybe have a person at the track help you. Doesn't take much for them to be off.

I haven't done this and I am no mechanic but since I always appreciate any thoughts when I post on thumper talk here it goes.  Tape your measuring stick to your rear fender.  Tape a piece of white paper onto your axel point.  Put some grease on the end of the measuring stick.  Not oil because it will drip.  Sit on the bike and measure the sag.  Kind of like inspecting your front forks for travel via the hint of oil left.  Hopefully, someone will give you a better idea so good luck.

• Like 1

Just check your static to verify the spring is correct and adjust the preload till the bike rides good

25-45 static 30-40 ideal

4-12 preload 6-10 ideal

Those will work for most full sized bikes

Even with a good helper your riding sag measurement will consistently vary.

Rear static sag is 36mm, didn't measure the front but it's definitely in the 5-10mm range. I put my sag scale in the rear axle tried to sit neutral while looking back at my rear fender. The sag is right between 100-110mm. Probably 106. Good enough until I can find someone to take a better measurement.

Rear static sag is 36mm, didn't measure the front but it's definitely in the 5-10mm range. I put my sag scale in the rear axle tried to sit neutral while looking back at my rear fender. The sag is right between 100-110mm. Probably 106. Good enough until I can find someone to take a better measurement.

This. Sag is an inexact science and hard to replicate with any technique.

hop on one foot close your eyes and touch you nose while you count backwards from 100 with your head tilted back.

I use three people and do a pull up and drop measure

push down and let rise measure

and average them

i dont know how the feck youll pull that off with one person.

Yard stick (meter stick for EU), pencil or pen, and camera phone (or camera).

Get yard stick set up with pen through hole at one end into axle.  Wedge in between rear fender and side panel.

Take static measurement with bike on stand.

Take bike off stand, sit on bike, balance delicately with toes, take picture of fender/yard stick.  Wash, rinse, repeat.