Sign in to follow this  

How hard is it to ride in the dunes? Beginner rider!

We are going to the dunes this weekend and I don't have a quad, but also am VERY new to dirt bikes.. Started learning to ride my bike just last week. Am I going to kill myself out there lol? Is it just going to be miserable for me? I can always ride B- but obviously don't really want to spend most of the trip riding on the back with someone else!

I have a little two stroke kx65 with the engine bored to an 85 (I'm 5"2 and 95 pounds) I have paddle tires for it and I've read that helps.

You will have an interesting time on such a small bike.

Since you're gonna be working that bike REALLY hard in the sand...you should probably make sure it's jetted nice and rich.

and...lean back to float the front wheel on top of the sand as best you can.

• Like 2

How many paddles does your tire have? Never seen one that small. That bike seems on the small side for you and the sand is a huge power thief! I think it will struggle but could be a lot of fun as long as you stay away from the big stuff. The Dunes can be crazy as well, people coming from every direction, keep your head on a swivel and ALWAYS assume nobody sees you.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about that, it's at my friends house. He is the one who really owns it, but fixed it up for me lol. 

We are going to the dunes this weekend and I don't have a quad, but also am VERY new to dirt bikes.. Started learning to ride my bike just last week. Am I going to kill myself out there lol? Is it just going to be miserable for me? I can always ride B- but obviously don't really want to spend most of the trip riding on the back with someone else!

I have a little two stroke kx65 with the engine bored to an 85 (I'm 5"2 and 95 pounds) I have paddle tires for it and I've read that helps.

Are you a girl?   :huh:

Good question.  As we all know, sand and vaginas don't mix.

• Like 4

Dont start getting any ideas :lol:

but on sand, I assume anything that is underpowered is miserable. I have never ridden a dirt bike in the sand, but i had a 250ex that had paddle tires. I took it down to the river one time to ride on a sand bar and it was all i could do to keep from getting stuck. It started getting really hot from constantly revving to the moon and i had to get out of there quick. The ol 840 brute force on 30's was much funner :smirk:  But then again this is a river sandbar not dunes. So I cant really help you there.

Yes I am a 95 pound 20 year old chick lol. I have crohns disease so don't gain weight 

It's different but fun

The throttle is your friend.

If you try to go slow it will suck, you have to have some speed.

Yes I am a 95 pound 20 year old chick lol. I have crohns disease so don't gain weight 

Are there really dunes in washington? Ive never been there but I spent a week in western Montana and I assumed Washington would be a lot like that area.

We are going to Sand Lakes in Oregon

• Like 1

We are going to Sand Lakes in Oregon

I just had to google where Oregon was  :smashpc:   Anyways, it'll probably be a fun adventure. Any time on a bike is a fun time, especially if you are new to the sport. 

I've been trying to read up on sand riding and watch videos but I'm still very worried. I don't want to have a bad time. I don't get to do fun things like this often. 

I know I'll get to ride the 450, but it's his quad, I'm not going to let him give up his fun so I can drive : (

I've been trying to read up on sand riding and watch videos but I'm still very worried. I don't want to have a bad time. I don't get to do fun things like this often.

I know I'll get to ride the 450, but it's his quad, I'm not going to let him give up his fun so I can drive : (

You'll be fine, and you'll get.the hang of it. No need to be worried, it's a giant sandbox. Nothing to crash into.

If you get frustrated on the bike, you could probably ride on the back of the 450 with your friend. 

Is it possible to bore a 65 to an 85?

My sons 85 was bored and re plated to 105.

Not worried about crashing into anything, I'm expecting to fall, I'm just picturing myself riding straight then" catching an edge" (snowboarder talk, idk what you guys call it) and tipping over like an idiot.

I promise you guys I will record the first attempt on the dunes. I'm sure it will make for plenty of laughs for all xD

Edited by pnwk

Not worried about crashing into anything, I'm expecting to fall, I'm just picturing myself riding straight then" catching an edge" (snowboarder talk, idk what you guys call it) and tipping over like an idiot.

I promise you guys I will record the first attempt on the dunes. I'm sure it will make for plenty of laughs for all xD

In my experience the front just washes out and you gracefully crash.

Stay away from trees lol

• Like 1