Sign in to follow this  

water in clutch

okay so I'm in the process of replacing my crank seal! & I drained my clutch out and find there's water in there! Luckily I had bought the kit to rebuild the water pump anyways and have it here. But was just wondering what other peoples thoughts were. It wasn't leaking out of the weep hole! But maybe it was getting in around the gasket where water goes into the case I don't know? Anybody else have any thoughts! Thanks!

• Like 1

It should be fine. If you're really concerned fix what you're thinking of now, as well add take the plates out and soak them in whatever oil you use over night.

It should be fine. If you're really concerned fix what you're thinking of now, as well add take the plates out and soak them in whatever oil you use over night.

I was going to clean them with brake clean and put them back should I not put them back dry?

I was going to clean them with brake clean and put them back should I not put them back dry?

Yeah no don't do that. Soak them overnight in your preferred oil. If you want brake clean then before but please dont put them in freshly blasted with brake cleaner. Edited by zotis777

Yeah no don't do that. Soak them overnight in your preferred oil. If you want brake clean then before but please dont put them in freshly blasted with brake cleaner.

perfect I will clean them then soak them! I appreciate the help man! One more thing not sure if you're familiar with the 03 cr250? But every third tab on the clutch disc themselves has a little notch cut out is there a particular pattern to putting those things and other than alternating disc and clutch plate?

perfect I will clean them then soak them! I appreciate the help man! One more thing not sure if you're familiar with the 03 cr250? But every third tab on the clutch disc themselves has a little notch cut out is there a particular pattern to putting those things and other than alternating disc and clutch plate?

Not that i know of, I've seen it before. I arrange them in a spiral cause it looks cool. But i don't think it affects anything.

Not that i know of, I've seen it before. I arrange them in a spiral cause it looks cool. But i don't think it affects anything.

right on man I really appreciate you replying to my post! I'm in the process of putting this whole bike back together right now,new cylinder, piston all gaskets and seals possible without doing the bottom end! Hopefully arranging the plates in a staggered pattern willl help me go faster lol

Edited by Antano234D

right on man I really appreciate you replying to my post! I'm in the process of putting this whole bike back together right now,new cylinder, piston all gaskets and seals possible without doing the bottom end! Hopefully arranging them in a staggered pattern oil help me go faster lol

Yeah it v should be fine, don't worry.

Yeah it v should be fine, don't worry.

just realized I spaced putting a dowel pin in my head! Haven't gone through a heat cycle Would you recommend just getting a new gasket since it's already been to torque d or do you think it would be ok

Please come back in a few weeks and tell us if your clutch survived. If you got enough water in there, and the clutches absorbed it I don't think the clutch is long for this world. I could be way off base with that statement so I'm asking you to please come back after 5+ hours of riding and let us know if it survived.

Please come back in a few weeks and tell us if your clutch survived. If you got enough water in there, and the clutches absorbed it I don't think the clutch is long for this world. I could be way off base with that statement so I'm asking you to please come back after 5+ hours of riding and let us know if it survived.

Will do! Just about finished with my rebuild and will do two heat cycles tomorrow! Take it out for a day to break it in and hopefully a hare scramble the following day!