Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

I would love a little advice here, if you kind gents would be willing to offer

Long story short, I have an opportunity to pick up a 2009 KTM XC-W 300 for about $5000 (little haggle room there). Now I know KTM makes a great bike, but is it worth getting rid of my 2007 WR 450 for it? I know the ktm is in great shape but my WR is mint. I guess I'm just questioning the hassle of selling one bike to buy a new one and just want a change blah blah blah.

Any kind of input here fellas, would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, ok, I can do blah, blah, blah if you don't mind  :)

Haven't owned a WR450F or XC-W 300, but I ride with mates that have those.

Last weekend rode with mates on 2 CRF450X, KTM 250 EXC 2 stroke, KTM 250 SX 2 stroke and ktm exc350 4stroke and had a chance to ride some a little again, maan, that's awsome machines.

Mostly rocky trails, here are some pics from a cellphone

DKD9dop2RI0.jpg

K2lnf8xhiuU.jpg

g3VW-YDI4Ao.jpg

OXw9J2-41cY.jpg

b2Xw2CA7WWo.jpg

BEunuRhcHaI.jpg

On the first part of the trip poor abused crf had at last given up, the battary died and the magic button didn't work, after about 10 kicks and 3 stalls he needed a brake, so I took the crf to try to start it and try out a rocky climb. I ride XR650R, I know Honda Dance, started it second kick. It has no bottom end power, not even a hint compared to XR. 3 stalls, 3 Honda Dance rituals and I'm up. My thought was wow, XR was actually easier to climb here even on sprockets for highway/steppes 15-47

At the camp there were beer and other good stuff waiting so the next day a guy on 250 exc said he'd prefer to sleep a little longer in a car (car went around the mountain and to the camping site) and gave me the opportunity to ride ktm 2stroke.

Hillclimb, 1st gear, low rpm, it climbs a pretty stiff hill like it's an electromotor bike, it doesn't want to wheelie like XR would on rpm that low and it doesn't stall like crf would like to.

Suspension works really well compared to XR, ruts at any angle are now just very minor obstacle on a straight line, no need to fight it with handlebars, no need to manhandle the bike, it just goes right where you want it to go, crf was heavier and harder to control there, although still much easier than XR without suspension work done

Rode about 60 miles of trails and 2-track, handles like a bicycle, hands down better then XR, but on a 2-track I felt there was no real hit, just smooth acceleretion and power valve hit, not very impressive, but it's enough to do anything you want. 

So, on more tight stuff a 2stroke even 250 is better, I bet 300 is even better, want to try out one of those now, but on more open stuff I would prefer a 4stroke, even XR650R with suspension work, it has some overwhelming power you get used to and a workout as a bonus   :)

Edited by MCVL

Unless you specific goal is to drop bike weight I don't see where you will gain a bunch. Both are great bikes. I prefer the 4 stroke. Now I'll get hammered for this but from what I've seen in my travels the blue bike requires less wrench time. If you hunt you can find a new /left over WR for around 6 grand and that is F.I.

Have you spent time riding the 300 ?

I haven't even as much as sat on the 300, I just keep hearing ktm ktm ktm...it's tossing a curve ball into my decisions