Sign in to follow this  

Blasting a frame with an oil resevoir?

Is it OK to media blast a frame with a built in oil reservoir? Bike is an 82 Yamaha XT550.

I really, really don't want to mess around with chemical strippers or wire wheels, but I will if it's the only option on this frame!

Thanks

Hi Saskanoe:

I've heard  some very bad results with grit-blasted XT500 frames over the years.  If you ever wondered why Yamaha didn't cleanup the welds on these bikes it's because they didn't want grinding anywhere near the frame tank.  A mistake means you would never get it clean again.  

patuca

Edited by patuca

As long as all the holes are plugged while blasting you should be fine. Don't allow any media into the oil sump.

I spent a weekend in Daytona helping a friend do a panic rebuild on what was a brand new Rotax engine. All due to sand in the tank of the freshly blasted and powder coated frame. The bike looked great but the insides of the engine sure didn't. be careful.  

Blasted my '00 yz426 350 hrs ago, plugged all the oil tank holes. Used dipstick on the top and a fuel line with a bolt in it on the bottom. Just rebuilt it this week, but actually looked very good for the total 550+ hrs on the bike. So what I'm saying is there are ways to keep the sand out of the oil tank, wire wheels and strippers will take forever.