Sign in to follow this  

2011 kx250f Piston Ring Spacing?

I will be doing some preventative maintenance soon on my 2011 kx250f by replacing the stock piston since it has about 50 hours on it.  I am wondering if anyone has a diagram for the ring spacing and gap specifications? I have searched and have not found anything on it.  Also, would the cylinder have to be honed or would I be able to get away with running a new stock bore piston in it if it is still a bit rough?  

Any information is appreciated

I will be doing some preventative maintenance soon on my 2011 kx250f by replacing the stock piston since it has about 50 hours on it. I am wondering if anyone has a diagram for the ring spacing and gap specifications? I have searched and have not found anything on it. Also, would the cylinder have to be honed or would I be able to get away with running a new stock bore piston in it if it is still a bit rough?

Any information is appreciated

they have a Nikasil coating and can't be honed. Unless you had a breakdown it's a straight piston swap.

Best is to just clean up the cylinder with a scotch brite pad and q20 which will get the cross hatch pattern back.

Measure the cylinder as per the service manual to make sure it is still within spec before installing the new piston, if out of spec then you need to get it re-nicasiled    

Thanks for the input guys.  I think I am going to clean up the cylinder using a scotch-brite pad and then soapy water, contact cleaner and then finally with WD-40.  Honing a Nikasil cylinder seems to cause more harm than good and I wouldn't want to mess that up doing it myself.  As for the rings, I'd assume that as long as the gaps don't overlap it should be fine.  I know that other bikes have gaps that are offset by 120 degrees from each ring but I'm not sure if that would apply to the kx250f.  

I been spraying oven cleaner on there and leave it for no longer then 10min. Hit it with the scotch-brite/WD-40 then rinse with hot soapy water. The oven cleaner really dissolve any carbon and fuel resin with eaze. Also the ring spacing is the same on all years. I got a factory manual from 07 i can send ya. Most of the stuff is the same less no FI.