Sign in to follow this  

Would You Race a 230 ?

I know they aren't race bikes, but then I'm not a racer. I want to race beginner or "c" class enduros or hare scrambles next season, not expecting to be terribly competitive but for the fun and experience. My 230 is jetted right and it will have emulators and a Hagon shock soon. Aside from the sneers that I (a 45 year old dad) couldn't care less about... Is there any reason I shouldn't give it a go on the 230?

Do any of you race yours off-road currently? Do you have any 230 specific advice for racing?

Thanks

I know they aren't race bikes, but then I'm not a racer. I want to race beginner or "c" class enduros or hare scrambles next season, not expecting to be terribly competitive but for the fun and experience. My 230 is jetted right and it will have emulators and a Hagon shock soon. Aside from the sneers that I (a 45 year old dad) couldn't care less about... Is there any reason I shouldn't give it a go on the 230?

Do any of you race yours off-road currently? Do you have any 230 specific advice for racing?

Thanks

They're painfully slow but capable. Easy to ride and start, go have fun.
  • Like 2

They aren't that slow in the right conditions. Single track and tight woods trails are their forte. I'd never expect to be able to put one up against a water cooled, larger displacement bike in a flat out wide open race, but I was thinking it could possibly hang near the bigger bikes in the techy stuff.... at least the ones in the class I would be riding in. Am I wrong?

Either way, my main concern is safety. If I'm near the back it's no big deal, I just want to finish some races. And the 230 is what I have.

Edited by Harvo
  • Like 2

They aren't that slow in the right conditions. Single track and tight woods trails are their forte. I'd never expect to be able to put one up against a water cooled, larger displacement bike in a flat out wide open race, but I was thinking it could possibly hang near the bigger bikes in the techy stuff.... at least the ones in the class I would be riding in. Am I wrong?

We have ridden with quite a few of the new bikes in tight and/or technical conditions and have never had a problem keeping up.

If I had plans to go race a harescramble and my bike (03 kx250) had broke down for one reason or another. If I could get away with it. I would ride my sons xr70 just to get into the mix of it. Life's too short not to enjoy it in ways that make you happy.

• Like 3

Better yet friend of mine that still races (at 63). Told me about when he raced one of theseImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400775999.978942.jpg

So there's another reason to go do it

Harvo, where are you at? I'm a little under three hours from Chattanooga and would be down for a North Ga/'nooga area 230 ride sometime. Or hit one of the SORCS races up that way for that matter.

Starting out racing hare scrambles on a 230 is just fine. The bike won't wear you out as fast as a CRF250 or 450.

Most hare scrambles are 1 1/2 hours for "C" class and lots of guys are Moto riders that will fade after the first 45 minutes.

• Like 2

Harvo, where are you at? I'm a little under three hours from Chattanooga and would be down for a North Ga/'nooga area 230 ride sometime. Or hit one of the SORCS races up that way for that matter.

I'm in Cleveland.  We ride at Houston Valley and Windy Gap sometimes.  I'm up for a ride sometime. 

My usual riding buddy just got a 2014 KTM 250 something something -W.  I think the "w" is for wide ratio woods bike.  Anyway... the 230 can hang with him everywhere in the woods except steep rocky/bouncy climbs.   His bike tracks straight up.  The 230's front tire is all over the place.  I'm hoping the emulators will solve that issue.

I'm sure the KTM will burn me on grass track sections too... but after riding his new bike, the 230 at least feels like it has more grunt off the bottom end.

My usual riding buddy just got a 2014 KTM 250 something something -W.  I think the "w" is for wide ratio woods bike.  Anyway... the 230 can hang with him everywhere in the woods except steep rocky/bouncy climbs.   His bike tracks straight up.  The 230's front tire is all over the place.  I'm hoping the emulators will solve that issue.

Yes sir - The cartridge emulators will fix this.  You will be pleasantly surprised at the hills the CR230 can easily tackle.

Ah, Windy Gap. Rode MTB there over the years but only once on a dirt bike - a YZ250F just months after starting riding when I thought a clutch lever was just for shifting gears. That sucked.

About the racing, you can definitely hang in C with with the mods you're doing/done to the bike. I raced in March and finished fourth out of five, but had I not wasted several minutes picking myself up from a big crash and getting stuck in such a bad mudhole line that spectators had to help dig my bike out (both incidents 100% user error that would have happened on any bike), I'd have easily gotten third. To top it off, I had a full blown cold the next day so I suspect I was racing somewhat sick...bottom line is despite some adversity, me and the 230 were competitive in C even though I'm not that fast even on my best day on any bike.

That said, here's what I plan to do next race that may be food for thought to you:

1) Ditch the Camelbak. I've got a huge ass 100oz mule that I also carry tools in. Probably weighs close to 15lbs fully loaded. I'm in pretty good overall shape and our races are never more than 30 minutes per lap so I cna make it a full lap without fear of cramps or keeling over dead. Others' mileage may vary. I barely drink during races any way as it's a PITA to try and stuff the bite valve in my mouth at speed. I notice I ride better/looser without the pack on my back and will just leave a jig of water or a few Nalgene bottles with integrated straws at the edge of the course by the line and slam 15 secs worth of water between laps. The reduced weight will certainly do the little engine some favors.

2) Fill the tank 2/3 full: hare scrambles (or any one leg of an enduro between gas stops) aren't more than 40 miles. No need to carry excess weight up high on our gas sippers so running 2/3 full will save a few more pounds. again, the engine will appreciate the weight savings.

3) Run bigger tires: You can't understand how chopped out a race course gets until you actually race. Square edges come out that you don't see on normal trail rides and the first lap arm pump makes you start to debate how much to list your bike on Craigslist for, if you can even finish the lap (don't worry, it really does get better and more fun as the race progresses). Even the best suspended bikes can be rough rides until your body relaxes 15 or so minutes into the race, so the 230's reduced travel can be an even harsher hazing intro to racing. I'm installing a trials tire w/Tubliss today and if all goes well, will put a larger-than-stock new knob up front next week. Though the larger tires add rotating mass, run at <10lbs as Tubliss allows you to do, they should also take a lot of the sting out of the chop that surfaces on race courses and add a little straight line stability at speed..

You could absolutely race a 230, its all about the rider, you'll get crushed on straights but make your time up in the tight stuff and you should do fine

• Like 1

Absolutely! You'll have more fun per gallon than any other racers out there.

We rode a new place today at worked up to what I'd consider race pace. The 230 was hanging with the KTM all day, and toward the end of the day, I was pushing him. The 230 handles big rocks great, but the baby head rocks give it fits.

Either way, my main concern is safety. If I'm near the back it's no big deal, I just want to finish some races. And the 230 is what I have.

I successfully competed for several seasons  in timekeeper Enduros using a 200, and in the woods they are competivive against the bigger bikes.  You'll be able to develop riding skills rather than expending energy trying to control the bike.

Just go for it! :thumbsup:

Oh Harvo,

Haha, Don't be silly. I didn't even bother to read everyone else's post. Of course you can race a 230. You won't have the fastest bike, but who cares. It's all for fun, right?

Besides, if the guy on the $10,000 tricked out Suzuki RM450 passes you, . . . Well, he should have passed you. But if you pass him . . . Yes, if you pass him . . . he'll kill himself. :)

• Like 2