Sign in to follow this  

Which state is easiest to convert your bike to a dual sport?

I have been trying to figure out a way to get a license plate for my 2006 Wr450f. I love the bike and every time I ride it I keep thinking the only thing this bike needs to make it perfect for me is a licence plate.

I don't have a ton of free money and don't want to waste money on a light kit and dot tires if it can not be converted to dual sport. I am in the the great state of confusion I mean kalifornia. I have done extensive reading from lots of people who have been successful at getting a plate and I have read even more stories where they were not. I have heard and read about many shady practices to get the plate and would like to avoid those. I have also heard that if you somehow get the magic plate that the dmv will revoke it at a later date.

This all brings me to my next option. Registering the bike in a different state. I have a few options and wanted to throw them out to hear what others have done.

My wife has some family in Arizona. I do not know what I would have to do to get it registered there.

Another option is I have family in Colorado. I could potentially use my grandma's address or one of my cousins. Another good thing about Colorado is I do go there every summer for a visit so if I needed to bring it there for an inspection, that would not be a problem.

Any experience or adclvice would be welcome.

Utah is pretty easy, but you have to have lights, turn signals  and horn to pass the saftey inspection.

If I register it in Arizona will I need proof of residence. Also what equip does Arizona require. I read somewhere that all they need was a. Mirror, horn, and front and rear lights. I can throw a mirror and a horn on to get it plated. I also read they don't care if the tires are dot or not.

Which Dual Sport Lighting kit do people like and what are the pros and cons.  I have been looking at Baja Designs on the higher end and Tusk on the cheaper end.  The Tusk looks nice except I would have to get a new rear fender, there is no key switch, and no rectofier and voltage regulator modifications.  The Baja kit comes with the new yz style rear fender, key switch. How much do you need the headlight wired directly to battery?  I do not see a lot of night riding with this bike and if you did get caught out after dark, the head light still works in the stock manner. 

Years ago moded 2 T for street, never registered it just took street bike plate off and put it on 2T when ever I wanted to ride street. sold the 2T three years later.

Years ago moded 2 T for street, never registered it just took street bike plate off and put it on 2T when ever I wanted to ride street. sold the 2T three years later.

I had a friend suggest that.  I would like to avoid that rout if at all possible though. 

I did a DRZ400, and a '06 WR450 in AZ., piece of cake. No inspections etc. either. And I'm guessing Az. would take your money. Problem might still be on the Kali. end if you were pulled over for something.

Mike

• Like 1

The CA DMV has begun a program of recalling license plates issued to motorcycles previously street registered outside the state if those bikes are "off-road only" according to their VIN number upon sale or transfer, and has ended the practice of accepting out-of-state registration reciprocally. 

Look into that first.

The CA DMV has begun a program of recalling license plates issued to motorcycles previously street registered outside the state if those bikes are "off-road only" according to their VIN number upon sale or transfer, and has ended the practice of accepting out-of-state registration reciprocally. 

Look into that first.

Link?  VIN number on bikes only with a "3" or "G" in the 8th digit (red sticker) bikes??

Sorry Ken, don't have a link.  I do recall reading about it roughly 6 months ago, though.  But yes, "red sticker" bikes.  Worth looking into before making an investment.

And another reason to leave California, unless you think that we can turn the state around facing the right way.

Ok, sounds like they are going after red sticker bikes that currently have a CA plate that were brought in from out of state.  Red sticker bikes were never able to be CA plated here anyway.  2 strokes were able to be CA plated but that was before the whole red/green sticker thing (2002).

This state will never get turned around facing the right direction.  When I retire and I am looking at my retirement check and see how much is coming out in taxes and knowing that if I cross a state line that those taxes will go down, see ya!  Now, what state will get my taxes.....TBD

The AZ plates running around CA will go away sooner or later.  Both CA & AZ are well aware the games people are playing...  and all this talk sure ain't helping.

CA DMV and CHP and State Parks/SVRAs are already in the bag for CARB.  I wouldn't be surprised if the CHP doesn't already have marching orders to pull over every AZ plated motorcycle they see for a DOT check and residence verification.  If you produce a CA drivers license expect a ticket and an opportunity to explain your plates authenticity in court.   

BTW - Kenny it's a 3 or C...  not G :thumbsup:

• Like 1