Sign in to follow this  

Rear tire bearing replacement

I blew my rear bearing and I went to go change it today but the outer ring of the bearing is stuck in the hub. I got the bearing out on the disc brake side but can't get the bearing out on the sprocket side due to the bearing broke and the outer shell part is stuck in hub. Any ideas how to get it out? Thanks

I blew my rear bearing and I went to go change it today but the outer ring of the bearing is stuck in the hub. I got the bearing out on the disc brake side but can't get the bearing out on the sprocket side due to the bearing broke and the outer shell part is stuck in hub. Any ideas how to get it out? Thanks

A picture might help. Usually a good punch does it but it sounds like you have a special case. Some heat may help.

Bearing pullers/slide hammer setups are at the auto parts store.

Worst case is super carefully grinding a notch in it and convincing it out like a monkey pulling ants out of a log with a stick.

Or you could soak it in gas, light it on fire and roll it down a hill and buy a new wheel. Thats how the nitro circus guys do their bearings.

• Like 1

You can apply heat with a small torch to the hub to get it to expand to make it easier to get the race, or outer ring, out with a punch.

You can apply heat with a small torch to the hub to get it to expand to make it easier to get the race, or outer ring, out with a punch.

Very evenly.

Mike

Very evenly ,very carefully , very little....seriously , if you have a dremel tool or diegrinder, grind a slot in it , i wont hurt if you nic the hub , but just be careful . Itll pop right out . Ive did it a few times .

when i have something like this , i weld a old steel piece of flat metal insite the outer bering race and now you have a bridge so you can take it out with a long round shaft from the other site going through the hub .