Recommended dirt bike for 13 year old girl

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice regarding subject matter. My daughter currently has a new '13 Honda CRF 110F, which I just put up for sale in the TT classified section. When I bought it for her last December she was almost too big for it but, because she was just learning how to ride I wasn't comfortable with getting her a bigger bike. Fast forward a few months and she hit a major growth spurt (currently 5ft 110lbs) and now the bike is too small for her. So my dilemma is what bike to buy her next? I had her sit on the new '14 Honda CRF 125F and she can touch the ground flat footed. I was also looking at the Kawasaki KLX 140, but both of the bikes seem pretty heavy for a girl my daughter's size to handle. Couple that with the fact they are somewhat lacking in the suspension area. With that said, I've been reading about the 85cc 2 strokes and while they all seem to have very good suspension and low weight characteristics, I have reservations about getting her one because of the peak power distribution and lack of low end. I raced motocross with an '81 YZ80 when I was younger and that thing had a wicked power band! However, I read that you can tame the power somewhat by adding a weighted flywheel, different exhaust, etc. Anyhow, in the short amount of time my daughter rode the CRF 110 she got the riding basics down pretty fast. We live and ride out in the SOCAL high desert (sand, whoops, trails, and hills) and my daughter would like to start racing hare & hounds in the near future. Given this information, what bike would you recommend I purchase and what type of mods (if any) would you recommend? Thanks for your valued time and input.

I tried to start my 14 yo daughter out on a 1980 YZ80 and it didn't work out too well. She just did not want to get it on the pipe so there was a lot of stalling and puttering along and fouling plugs. She got very frustrated with it. She's on a quad now but I may try to move her back onto a 4t bike next year.

Unless your daughter is aggressive and wants to race and the type that doesn't care if she gets hurt, I would suggest a TTR125 or a CRF150F. My daughter is more passive and I bought her a CRF150R. It is working out ok but the electric start and less power would encourage her to ride more. Every once in a while the 150 scares her and she is done for the day. Good luck.

Well he said she sits on the crf125 with her feet flat on the floor. She would probably outgrow that really fast. Honestly, now that im considering it, a ttr230 or crf230 would be a great bike. They're close to full size and they require minimal maintenance. With race 2 strokes, you got to worry about top ends more often. With race 4 strokes, you have to do valve adjustments around every 20 hours. 230s have decent all round power and aren't that heavy.

• Like 1

Well he said she sits on the crf125 with her feet flat on the floor. She would probably outgrow that really fast. Honestly, now that im considering it, a ttr230 or crf230 would be a great bike. They're close to full size and they require minimal maintenance. With race 2 strokes, you got to worry about top ends more often. With race 4 strokes, you have to do valve adjustments around every 20 hours. 230s have decent all round power and aren't that heavy.

Yes but from the sound of it even not being that heavy, they might still be to heavy for her

I took my daughter to a dealer this evening and she sat on the '14 Kawasaki KLX 140 and she could touch the ground with her toes. She did comment that it was a little heavy. They didn't have any 85cc's so she hasn't been able to check out those yet. So far the KLX 140 is the top choice. May opt for the bigger wheel 'L' model though. However, if there's an 85cc that I can tame the power on and get some low end that would be awesome.