Sign in to follow this  

A question for Eddie (or other tuner guru)

Hello,

I would like to hear some valid opinion on how important is a possibility to adjust (increase) the spark energy and alter the fuel injection angle for the CRF450R (2009 - 2014). These are both features of the Vortex ECU, not present on PCV. Are they more benefitial or useless? Is having an autotune option a better advantage?

Thank you for your time.

I have tested a bit with injector angle timing and seen no real gains I believe that the cams that we use are short enough in duration that even the race cams don't require a change in injector timing I haven't played with uping the voltage because I m not sure how much to add in .

Thank you for the input Ron.

I am starting to think that I'm not using high enough octane fuel to require voltage boost but once I start to go up the ladder with those, I might try it.

By the way maybe there is someone who can suggest any good products for upping the voltage?

More spark energy is always good, but only the energy required will be used to fire the plug. Once that spark hatches out the flame its pretty much done its job. If you were having an issue with blowing out the spark, more energy makes all the differnce in the the world. The book spec is 100v minimum to the coil. so they arent using a kettering type charge and transistor break ignition system, its a true CDI. They wallop the coil with 100-300 volts and force it to fire over a number of degrees of crank rotation. That said, Honda has never been known for spec'ing decent coils. They seem to break down rather quickly.

Dyna makes a pretty decent coil thats small enough to fit where it needs to. Its too bad that honda made that plug access so damn small, there are some really good stick coils off other bikes and cars that would work great, but they wont fit in that pencil sized hole.

Dont be tempted by that stupid iCat thing. Its just a high voltage diode thats supposed to force the flyback voltage off the spark pull through the ground wire. The plug is only going to use as much voltage to jump the gap as necessary IE. if 15KV is enough, a coil thats capable of generating 75KV will only kick out whats necessary to fire the plug. Rich mixtures, high compression, heat all contribute to trying to blow out the spark. So having the extra available is the reason for the flamethrower igntion. Most racing fuels light off easier, but burn in a more controlled fashion. Matching the fuel to the application is key.

I have a takai coil on my 09. Bike is on e85. Couldn't find any performance gains whatsoever over stock coil except starting. It's a lot better to start with the takai coil when cold