Snapped oil drain bolt

The other day I went to change the oil in my bike, while backing my drain bolt out of my bike the head of my bolt snapped of leaving the remainder of the bolt still in my case. No big deal, I bought an easyout and drilled into the bolt to back it out. While at the shop I picked up a new bolt that has a magnet core to pull any metal shavings out of my case. Using my torque wrench to put this new bolt in, as soon as the bolt pinched up against my case the head on this bolt snaps off as well. Apparently the magnet is harder to drill through than the OEM bolt because I can't get a hole drilled into it to save my life. Someone please give me some ideas of how I can get this bolt out. I refuse to ride my bike anymore with the same oil that's in it.

What did you set your torque wrench to? Typically about 12 ft-lbs is all you need on the drain bolt. Not sure how you will be able to get that out if you can't drill into it. Maybe it would be possible to weld a bolt to it so you can back it out.

• Like 2

Had my wrench set to 10lbs. Hadn't thought of welding a bolt to the snapped bolt. That may be an option but I foresee it being a little tricky because the snapped bolt is sunk into the case a little bit. I'll upload a picture tonight

Had my wrench set to 10lbs. Hadn't thought of welding a bolt to the snapped bolt. That may be an option but I foresee it being a little tricky because the snapped bolt is sunk into the case a little bit. I'll upload a picture tonight

I guess it depends on what the bolt is made out of. I don't know much about welding but I had a guy weld my radiator mounts after I snapped them off in a crash. We left the bolts in so weld would not get in the threads. When he was done I freaked out because he had seemingly welded the bolt into place. Since we were welding aluminum the aluminum did not actually stick to the steel bolt and we were able to easy chip it off. Not sure if the same applies when welding steel near aluminum as I assume the bolt is likely made of steel.

I don't know much about welding either. The bolt is a magnet core with a thin steal threaded case around it. I've been looking up how hard it is to weld to a magnet and so far the only issue I've seen is the magnet will lose its polarity. I live in a area with few riders and only one shop. The shops idea is to punch the magnet core into my case, somehow fill the hole and back out the steal case and then fish the magnet out of my bike. I don't really think that sounds like a good idea.

Very odd that the bolt would snap off with only 10 lbs of torque.  But I stripped the threads in my bike's cases for the oil check bolt because I used a torque wrench for the measley 4 lbs of twisting force. 

Good luck gettin' her fixed.  Maybe it's somethin in the Colorado water..

Might try a left handed drill bit. It drills counterclockwise so you would need to run the drill in reverse. Sometimes the drill bit itself will get a good enough bite on the fastener to spin it out of the hole. I would spray it with some penetrating oil first for good measure.

Edited by Hoosier-Daddy
  • Like 2