Sign in to follow this  

Can I just add a really stiff springs to my forks and thats all?

I reposted this topic since I only mentioned it within the middle of a different forum.

The tuner said he would put really stiff springs in the forks.  He and I went over and over that I wanted to error on the side of too stiff.  However, what I need is a unique request.  I do a lot of hill climbing.  Not a whole lot of competitions but more for fun.  One of the exciting things about hill climbing is jumping cliffs on the way down.  He attempted to design my suspension so that I could at least jump a 10ft cliff and land on flat ground comfortably.  I recently jumped a cliff that was about 10ft but a steep landing and it bottomed out...no clanking noise metal to metal but I didn't want to do it again.  This same drop I did awhile back on my 1997 KX500 and it went metal to metal but felt about the same.  The tuner got me excited because he thought I might be able to jump 30ft.  My concern now is what to expect after he takes it back in.  If he only puts a new spring in will the current revalve not work/match up with the springs?  Will my rebound damping not be strong enough to keep the front wheel planted on the ground?  Will the rear suspension not match the front anymore and need redone too?  The rear feels fantastic right now...amazing difference from stock, but my brother's stock 2013 KX450 forks at the highest air pressure  (40 psi) allowed by the manual is still stiffer than mine.  Obviously stock bikes aren't set up for big drops and for $1000 already spent what should I expect?  The rear shock reflects the cost for sure because it is awesome, but should I expect to be this satisfied with the forks too?  If I was to be as happy with the forks as the rear suspension I would expect a smooth enough ride that the forks weren't bouncing around but still stiff enough that if I overshoot a double I can still land comfortably.  Landing comfortably on flat landings is by far my desired results.

Where in
Colo. are you? Who in Colo. did you current setup?

Springs and valving. Base, mid and rebound. Just do it all. Sounds like you don't care about handing for MX. So nothing to lose, except a couple of hundred bucks if you pay someone to do it.

• Like 1