Sign in to follow this  

Running out of gas

So I just bought a great condition 2002 DRZ with just over 7000 miles this last Sunday.  I use it for commuting and it's the best city bike I've ever had.  I know it has a smallish fuel tank and mileage is around 80.  But today I ran out of gas at 47 miles.  I used reserve to get to gas station and it only too 1.35 gallons to fill to top.  Is this normal?  Am I filling it wrong? I know I'm supposed to have 2.6 + .6 reserve so where is the other 1.85 gallons?

Thanks for any help for a thumper noob.

Stock tank is 2.6,  if you have the stock carb on there is no way you should be running out of gas at 80,  the PO might've replaced the stock petcock with a different one that has different length fuel tubes inside,  that will change when you hit reserve,   with stock tank and stock carb i was hitting reserve at around 125 or so. 

Oh and welcome,  lets see some pics. 

Edited by 150ron
  • Like 1

I've been running into the same sort of issue, except mine is a 2014.  I bought it brand new 6 weeks ago, and twice now, I've had it puke out on me at ~80 miles and had to switch to reserve.  Now I've been filling up every time I get close to 75 miles.

Thanks 150ron. I'll take the tank off and do some snooping tonight.  Never run into this issue before on a bike. 

Here's my baby.  Still amazed at how well it handles compared to sports bike.  I knew they were nimble but didn't think I'd be cornering faster on this than a yzf.

IMG_6477.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks 150ron. I'll take the tank off and do some snooping tonight.  Never run into this issue before on a bike. 

Here's my baby.  Still amazed at how well it handles compared to sports bike.  I knew they were nimble but didn't think I'd be cornering faster on this than a yzf.

attachicon.gifIMG_6477.JPG

Very nice,   yeah i find that they are great bikes,  can climb anything on the trails and do freeway speeds,   

Check to see if you still have the stock OEM vacume type petcock wth the PRIME position on it,  if you do,   its worth spending $25 bucks and upgrading to the Raptor petcock which has the ON/OFF/RESERVE settings,  you just need to shut it off when done riding.    

A few things:

- New bikes get crap fuel mileage. They get better after a couple thousand km (let's say 5k km).

- Running 87 octane gets worse gas mileage than premium.

- The 3x3 airbox mod and re-jet got me better gas mileage.

My 2013 would get 110 km till I hit the reserve when my bike was brand new.

Driving flat out on 87 octane

So roughly 6.8 L/100km = 34.5 MPG.

Gets much better fuel mileage now.

I haven't checked recently but I got 125 km last weekend and never hit the reserve.

I have a ca model 2013 drz400s and I run into the same issues. I think my tank is only 2.2 gallons total including reserve. I think maybe its a california thing. Pretty sure I have 1.6 gallon main and .6 reserve. Since day one completely stock only 80 miles before have to switch to reserve. If I feel up right after switching to reserve most ive filled up with was 1.6 gallons. I have 3x3 mod, rejet cv carb, and mrd ssw exhaust and mileage is basically the same. 70-80 miles on 1.6gallons before have to switch to reserve.

My Cal model 400s gets 80-90 miles till reserve. A fill up takes about 1.6 gal.This is with a mix of street/freeway riding, the stock petcock, and 3x3 mod.

• Like 1

My Cal model 400s gets 80-90 miles till reserve. A fill up takes about 1.6 gal.This is with a mix of street/freeway riding, the stock petcock, and 3x3 mod.

My 2012 did  about this also. 3x3 jetted stock exhast and tank.

my non-cal '00 stock S did ~110 miles to reserve if it was topped up, cruising mostly 60-65 back and forth to work .. if i was late and pushed it alittle faster a couple of times it would take it down some, around 100 .. i dont ride it daily now and havent refigured yet with the jet kit installed ..

If the cv carb has been rejetted and 3x3, 80 miles before reserve is about right, totally stock (original jetting) will normally go post 100 before reserve.

sounds about right when i run out and refill my gas i usually put 1.8 gal lol

crybabies...

get a real tank...then

get Wolfman Racks (sorry I got the last set from Pro-Cycle)...then

add a 2 gallon water container to the rack...because

my rear end needs a break long before I ever run out of gas...

I actually get close to 400 miles on a tank but usually stop at 320...long day in the saddle even with my Seat Concepts seat cover...

...oh yeah...the stickers and NOS help make it look fast!!!

drz tank.jpg

Edited by motobobintexas
  • Like 1

- Running 87 octane gets worse gas mileage than premium

That's not true.

I also disagree with your first point, but I could be wrong. It's mostly something dealers tell customers to get them out of their hair because no vehicle is driven gently enough to get their EPA rated fuel economy.

So I just bought a great condition 2002 DRZ with just over 7000 miles this last Sunday.  I use it for commuting and it's the best city bike I've ever had.  I know it has a smallish fuel tank and mileage is around 80.  But today I ran out of gas at 47 miles.  I used reserve to get to gas station and it only too 1.35 gallons to fill to top.  Is this normal?  Am I filling it wrong? I know I'm supposed to have 2.6 + .6 reserve so where is the other 1.85 gallons?

Pretty sure your TOTAL of gas is 2.6 gal. and, of that, .6 is typically the reserve. You don't have 3.2gal........ ;)

Edited by Signman606
  • Like 1

actually, octane rating has to due with flame travel, it is a higher octane because it is designed to burn slower, an old high performance trick was to advance the timing to cause a higher brake mean effective pressure, or compression ratio in motors, sporty cars or high output MC motors need the higher octane so it doesn't detonate prematurely (pinging) before the piston reaches TDC...not an absolute truth but pretty close to it

actually, octane rating has to due with flame travel, it is a higher octane because it is designed to burn slower, an old high performance trick was to advance the timing to cause a higher brake mean effective pressure, or compression ratio in motors, sporty cars or high output MC motors need the higher octane so it doesn't detonate prematurely (pinging) before the piston reaches TDC...not an absolute truth but pretty close to it

if you are not leaning the bike over to the left side where the petcock is you could still have a bunch of unused fuel on the right side of the tank. when i commute on the hwy i usually don't make it to 85 miles until i need to hit reserve, because the bike never gets leaned into the turns.  but if i pull to the shoulder and lean the bike on the left side gas flows from right to left and I get another 25 miles with out switching to reserve

that was one of my biggest gripes with the little tank, I had to watch the trip meter religiously while traveling thru Texas, about 82 miles, then I would lean the bike over, switch to reserve and look for gas

was a real pain when group riding...them KLRs have really big factory tanks!

other than the new seat cover, the tank mod was the best thing I have done so far as far as utilitarian purposes

Looks like I'll be investing in a larger tank.  I like the weight and balance of the bike but I would like to know I can go 150 miles before I have to get gas.  Under 80 is just not practical since I use it mostly for road.

Looks like I'll be investing in a larger tank.  I like the weight and balance of the bike but I would like to know I can go 150 miles before I have to get gas.  Under 80 is just not practical since I use it mostly for road.

The IMS 3.2 is a great tank, and will give you about 175+ or -,  id get that one for sure.

I had one and really regreat getting rid of it.   now with the stock tank when i go for longer rides,  i gas up in the morning,  and then gas up again when coming home,  gets kind of annoying. 

Edited by 150ron
  • Like 1