Sign in to follow this  

Need help with getting in shape

Hi guys newbie here, I'm getting my new bike in a week or two and want to shape up a bit. Im 15 years old, 5 foot 8 and 176 lbs. I know to to things involving cardio and only weight lift so often. But I'm not exactly sure how long to run and what exercises I should to get in shape for track riding. Also, any tips you guys have for losing weight would be appreciated.

-Kevin

Riding dirt bikes is one of few sports that requires full body training if you want to stay in shape for it.

Weights, stick to the basics, but you want to build muscle endurance (stick to higher reps). Chest, arms (bi/tri/forearm), upper mid and lower back, legs, core

The 2 best forms of cardio you can do at the gym is rowing and the stepmill. Keep that heart rate up, try intervals too (1min HARD 1min low but not OFF, 20 mins)

If you want more in depth routines I'll be happy to set you up with some recommendations.

• Like 1

The 2 best forms of cardio you can do at the gym is.... and the stepmill. 

Get a friend, set the machines on medium resistance, and race to the 12th floor. You'll want to die after the first few times, but it's a helluva good workout.

Hi guys newbie here, I'm getting my new bike in a week or two and want to shape up a bit. Im 15 years old, 5 foot 8 and 176 lbs. I know to to things involving cardio and only weight lift so often. But I'm not exactly sure how long to run and what exercises I should to get in shape for track riding. Also, any tips you guys have for losing weight would be appreciated.

-Kevin

Lots and lots of full court basketball. My arms get tired and a little sore but, I've yet to stop riding because my arms were wore out. It's the legs.

basketball will give you the explosive movement you need as well as the coordination, the stops and starts, the instant demands.

An hour or so, at least three times a week and go up from there as your stamina increases.

And stretch. A lot. Before and after. And hydrate. A lot. Before during and after. And eat right. No more junk. And, for chrissakes, pull your damn pants up...

Riding dirt bikes is one of few sports that requires full body training if you want to stay in shape for it.

Weights, stick to the basics, but you want to build muscle endurance (stick to higher reps). Chest, arms (bi/tri/forearm), upper mid and lower back, legs, core

The 2 best forms of cardio you can do at the gym is rowing and the stepmill. Keep that heart rate up, try intervals too (1min HARD 1min low but not OFF, 20 mins)

If you want more in depth routines I'll be happy to set you up with some recommendations.

I'll have to try that out, and I would really appreciate the in depth routines, having something to go off of would be really nice :)

1 - 1.5hr is a good workout. No dilly dallying keep going, the gym is a place for work not social hour. Get some ear buds and rock out

start with 10 min of light cardio just to get the joints moving and the heart rate going, i personally like the elliptical because it gets your whole body moving

find weights you can do about 10-12 reps before you have a good burn going.

Chest

- flat bench dumbell press

- incline bench dumbell press

- cable flys (low and mid)

Arms

-  ez bar curls

- dumbell hammer curls

- cable curls (flat bar)

- fore arm curls (do em till you can hardly hold the bar)

- dumbell tricep extension

- tricep push down (flat bar)

- overhead tricep pull (rope)

Core

- swiss ball crunches (do em till it BURNS)

- plate or dumbell oblique crunches

- leg raises (use a decline bench that you can grab the back of for better support)

Back

- weighted hyperextensions (lower back)

- cable low row (mid back)

- barbell rows (mid back)

- t bar row (upper back)

- dead lifts (lower back and hamstrings)

Leg

- CARDIO, run, bike, step mill

- calf raises

- leg press (can also do calf presses by moving your feet to the end of the base)

- squats, i don't do them but a lot of people like them

This is all pretty basic stuff, you can google search every one of these and it should come up with proper form videos e/t/c. I like to get in 2 muscle groups then hit cardio. So for instance today is a chest and core day then I'll do 20 on the stepmill if I'm up for it.

Nutrition is also very important, you're at a great age to start crushing weights eating right and putting on good mass if you don't get hurt. Protein supplementation is absolutely necessary, find a flavor you like and guzzle one immediately after you're done with your workouts.

Hope this helps

Ok, I forgo the gym. Put it this way, if you do a lot of push ups, pullups, sit ups, swim and run, then you will get in shape. If your goal is to put on mass, then yea weights are good. But if you are looking for endurance then high numbers of body weight excersises are the best. Low rest also. Like above, diet is HUGE. Stop drinking the sodas, candy bars, whatever. You will feel 10x better. Swimming is awesome, talk to the lifeguard and they should teach you, at first you will barely be able to do a lap. It is the hardest workout you will do, if you go hard at it. Just start slow and ease into it. Going HAM immediately will result in injuries and frustration. And stick with it. You are younger, and that will make it hard to focus. But you can do it.

Edited by gscx

Ok, I forgo the gym. Put it this way, if you do a lot of push ups, pullups, sit ups, swim and run, then you will get in shape. If your goal is to put on mass, then yea weights are good. But if you are looking for endurance then high numbers of body weight excersises are the best. Low rest also. Like above, diet is HUGE. Stop drinking the sodas, candy bars, whatever. You will feel 10x better. Swimming is awesome, talk to the lifeguard and they should teach you, at first you will barely be able to do a lap. It is the hardest workout you will do, if you go hard at it. Just start slow and ease into it. Going HAM immediately will result in injuries and frustration. And stick with it. You are younger, and that will make it hard to focus. But you can do it.

I have always been pretty good at swimming. We needed to be good for scouts and stuff like that, plus I have a pool so when Its warm out I enjoy doing laps. I also started eating better a little bit ago (3 weeks) but never really had a set workout routine or idea of what to do :)

For swimming, work up to 500 meters (11 laps in a yard pool) and try to get below 10 minutes. Then start upping your distance. When you start working out, you will find out what you can do. And how fast you can progress.

I actually just got back from the gym (would have stayed longer but mom has work and dad is already at work). I did 3-4 sets of each machine, 15 reps each, at weight that was challenging but not ridiculous (varied by machine) sorry I don't know the names pretty new to the gym thing. Then I went onto the treadmill for whatever time I had left. And as for the recommendations you have me arctic I'll make sure to type them out and plan for next time I go.

What I actually wanted to ask this time was if I should do any biking/jogging in the days in between when I go to the gym, reason being I have rode bmx for a while and also have various other bikes Aswell as a 10 mile path near me, I was thinking maybe going on that path back and forth twice or maybe jogging it once would be a good idea but I just wanted to see what you guys think I should do along with/ between the gym routine and swimming (when it warms up).

And with the supplements what would you guys recommend? I have heard the football people talking about way and kreatin or something along those lines. Would I wanna use them once I burn off a little weight or should I start now?

Thanks so much for the help btw.-Kevin

I actually just got back from the gym (would have stayed longer but mom has work and dad is already at work). I did 3-4 sets of each machine, 15 reps each, at weight that was challenging but not ridiculous (varied by machine) sorry I don't know the names pretty new to the gym thing. Then I went onto the treadmill for whatever time I had left. And as for the recommendations you have me arctic I'll make sure to type them out and plan for next time I go.

What I actually wanted to ask this time was if I should do any biking/jogging in the days in between when I go to the gym, reason being I have rode bmx for a while and also have various other bikes Aswell as a 10 mile path near me, I was thinking maybe going on that path back and forth twice or maybe jogging it once would be a good idea but I just wanted to see what you guys think I should do along with/ between the gym routine and swimming (when it warms up).

And with the supplements what would you guys recommend? I have heard the football people talking about way and kreatin or something along those lines. Would I wanna use them once I burn off a little weight or should I start now?

Thanks so much for the help btw.-Kevin

Legs, Legs, Legs...can't stress enough how important it is to work out your legs. Your upper body can only grow to a certain point without working out your legs. The best workouts are bench press, squats and dead lifts to gain muscle and strength quickly. Also if your looking to gain muscle faster you need to lift heavier and less reps...no need for 15 reps, just do 3 sets of 10-12 reps. If your pulling off 12 reps easily, up your weight. You should be able to do 10-12 your first set, same with second set, and third set you go till fail...and as for supplements you really don't need anything other than protein. It's all about protein, it allows your muscles to heal quicker..protein shake in the morning and one right after your workout..as for creatine I have used it and it does work for sure, but not necessary. If your trying to loose weight you need to do cardio, and shouldn't take creatine. Just lifting weights won't do much for that, you'll just be building muscle under the fat.

The days you aren't lifting you should try and get out to run and bike, this will help with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)

Skip the creatine, you don't need it. Start with protein supplementation first. I like Syntrax nectar sweets because they have 0 carb 0 fat 0 sugar, its just weigh protein isolate and they taste like fruit juice when mixed with water. For a harder workout I'll use a packet of EAS Myoplex Lite as this has good carb/fat, I like to use the vanilla and mix it with some OJ, makes like a creamsicle shake.

Think about the most important muscle groups for riding- legs, back, core. Shoulders, arms, chest are not as important IMO however they still need to be worked. Squats and deadlifts are extremely important. There's no two other exercises as important as squats and deadlifts. Power clean and press is also good for an explosive movement. At the end of last riding season, I had never heavy lifted, I could only squat 165 and deadlift 185. Now I deadlift 335 and squat 280, I am able to absorb and flick the bike around so much easier.

Also, what would you guys try to focus on getting into my diet, For the last 3 weeks I've mainly been eating salads, fruits, chicken veggies (duuhhh), but what else should I try to fit in and what are some good snacks to have that arent bad for me, I mainly eat Avacados and yogurt and peanutbutter sandwichs (with mainly rye bread or whole grain). Is there anything besides the obvious fatty/junk food you guys would recommend not to eat that might be deceptive? Any not obvious healthy snacks?

diet sounds good, keep the fruits for before work outs and during riding, sugar carb goes to fat quick but its great for a boost. Meats are good, lean beef, chicken and fish are your key 3 other meats like pork, lamb,e/t/c are also good but typically run a bit fattier. Unless you know its going to be a heavy day of exercise (or a full day of riding) cut the breads and pastas out, get your body used to getting carb from veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato e/t/c.