Sign in to follow this  

2013 DRZ surging at 1/8th throttle with FCR

Hey all, long time lurker, 1st time poster.  I have researched and read every post on here with no definative answer to my problem.  I have a 2013 with a TT fcrmx kit that i just installed and it has a surging at the slightest crack of the throttle going a consistent speed.  Doesnt matter which gear but the lower ones are more substantial.  Mid and top end are all balls out.  Im in Arizona, elevation is 2300 feet and about 90+ degrees rt now.  Heres where i started with jets.  Stock setup fromm TT  160main 100paj removed 45 pilot and 2.5 turns on fuel screw stock emn needle 3rd clip.  No power anywhere in the entire range tried every other clip position with no luck.  Installed 100 paj  ran worse.  I purchased a JD jet kit with 160 main 100 pilot blue needle 3rd clip and 45pilot 2 turns on the fuel screw  runs like a raped ape but surging at 1/8th or less throttle and a lot of backfiring.  Tried clip pos. 4, 5, & 6 and progressively got worse as far as surging.  so went back to clip pos. #2 and 1.5 turns on the fuel screw and seems way better but too lean?  Surging almost not there and no popping in the exhaust.  So, question is, should I try the red needle (leaner than blue)clip 3 and go from there or maybe smaller pilot.  I am at my wits end.  Ive played with this setup more than ive ridden the bike.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Iric.

Also installed is a SSW/Mrd with quiet insert and twin air filter with 3x3 mod.

I'm no expert, but I would try the leaner needle and repeat the steps for tuning the fuel screw. I had a problem with my bike feeling like it was running out of fuel at a constant throttle ~1/4. Going to a leaner diameter needle helped out.

Yeah that's pretty much the only thing that I haven't tried was the leaner needle I'll give that a try and give an update. Thanks.

UPDATE:  This is the jetting I ended up with JD jet kit installed...MAIN 160.  PAJ 100.  PFJ 45.   JD red needle clip 3 & flex jet fuel screw roughly 2 turns out.

Elevation around 2200-2300ft  temp 90-105  

Runs perfect.  Smooth idle around 1700-1800rpm  No surging under very light throttle and full power through the whole range and NO hanging idle.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I pulled the spark plugs and the ceramic around the positive electrode is a nice cinnamon brown color.

Thanks,

Goshred025