Sign in to follow this  

Rebuilding my bike from the ground up, what should I check out?

I'm the guy with this totaled DRZ: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1085373-i-was-teaching-my-roommate-to-ride-and-he-totaled-my-drz/

teejmiller - a wonderful beautiful poster - found me a frame on advrider with title for $200 and I'm going to rebuild my bike on a new frame. I'm planning on getting an IMS 4.0 tank since mine stocker was crushed but other than that everything else is fine.

While I'm tearing down the entire bike and rebuilding it on a new frame, what should I inspect/replace/whatever?

I don't have a huge budget, few hundred maybe.

Edited by raimondi1337
  • Like 2

Make sure all of the bearings and things are in good condition and well greased, replace any that need it.  Outside of adding aftermarket upgrades, not much more that I can think to do.

respring the bike to your weight, and massage the damping, whatever yours has. it's the best benefit you can buy, besides a magic wand that makes 50 lbs fall off it

• Like 1

Just inspect as you go, do all your loc-tites & use Bel-Ray grease.  :thumbsup:

+1

Just inspect parts as you take them off your original bike that you suspect could have been damaged from the accident (triple trees/steering stem, forks, handlebars, etc…).  While you have it totally apart, now is a great time to re-lube ALL your bearings (swingarm pivot, linkage, steering stem).  Doing the loctite-fixes is good, but you don't have to have the bike apart to do them.

• Like 1

Glad to see you fixing it and not parting it out. Did your buddy cough up the 200? Since your doing a frame swap anything that needs to be fixed should be pretty obvious to you. Pay attention to the swingarm and steerin head bearings

• Like 1

Woohoo! Glad it worked out for you! 

FYI, when you receive the frame, do the title transfer BEFORE swapping all the parts over. 

Edited by teejmiller
  • Like 2

A tupperware tub (with top) and paint thinner, makes a good parts washer.  Shipwreck tools has brushes of all sorts for parts scrubbing.  A refrigerator grill bent to fit will keep your parts out of the solvent sludge.  Marking pen and ziplock bags for parts, zip ties for the wiring.  Digital camera, take pics of everything.  Especially wire bundle routing.  Avery labels for the wiring connectors.  If replacing bearing, VXB.com has been a good source for me.

I know you're on a budget (who ain't), hopefully others will chime in with their secret parts sources.

I'd have that no account room mate scrubbing parts.

• Like 2