Sign in to follow this  

painting alloy frame & swingarm

I've never seen painted alloy.

Is it safe to paint alloy frame and swingarm using Rustoleum?

My XR got some ugly stains that won't come off even with steel wool and green scrubbing pad.

I don't know what the previous owner did to it, but there's a huge spot of wierd, black stain on the swing-arm.

I just want to cover up the ugliness with a few coats of paint, so I don't look like a poor kid who cannot afford

a new bike.

Edited by Terminatr

it'll be gone by the time you finish your first ride, get it powder coated or if you want to try painting at home get an HVLP gun and mix/shoot your own real paint

Didn't know xrs were alloy framed, and soda blast it.

The last of the XR mohican is alloy frame. The 650 R.

• Like 1

Aluminum or steel can be painted or powder coated. 

* Most people can spray paint themselves at home and you can just tape stuff off if you do not want to completely disassemble the bike

* Powder coating requires you to strip everything off of the frame and remove bearings, etc. and usually have someone else do it for you

I am new to dirt biking.  I have both painted and powder coated sport bike frames, but those frames usually do not see as much rubbing from boots as MX bikes do.  Therefore I cannot comment on the durability of paint or powder coating on an MX frame or swingarm.  If you paint, you could use clear coat to try to add some durability but use something that is "hard".

Wet sanding can also be used to remove stains and they do not require any special equipment - just elbow grease.  If you care about cosmetics, just move the media in one direction - I have seen examples of how people have restored stained sport bike frames to look factory fresh.

Also, I would not mind having a dirt bike that looked a little "ratty".  My thinking is that it would not be as "sexy" to thieves vs. a brand new looking bike.

Edited by thumper997