Chain Slider has worn a hole in the swingarm

2008 Al frame model, with 7000miles (approx 400hrs)

On its second chain slider

Cleaning it after a race, I noticed something strange about the edge of the swingarm under the chain slider

Took it a apart and found this

IMG_2327.jpg

I highly recommend you check yours

Its caused be the slider fretting on the swingarm, due to the chain moving it around, and not the chain wearing through the slider

Due to the design of the screws which hold it in place (shoulder bolts) once it wears the Al away alittle bit, it allows it to move around more freely, which in turn wears the Al more, and allows more movement etc etc.

slider should be held tight by the screws - mine most certainly wasn't

Gonna have it welded tomorrow, to repair it

Have made a stainless steel plate out of 1mm thick sheet, to fit between the slider and swingarm, which is held in place by the slider screws

This will stop the slider rubbing on the Al - if the slider does wear out the plate, its and easy replacement, rather than a reweld of the arm without it

Will post pics of welded repair, and with stainless steel plate fitted in the next few days

• Like 2

Took it to the welder today (he does off road riding as well) and he said he's a seen a couple WR swing arms similar to this

He also said RM's are prone to doing it (hey but they're Suzuki's  ?)

Even his own low hours WR (same as mine) is showing signs of it, but its way less hours than mine and hence is no where near as bad

Edited by GuyGraham

Wow, thanks for sharing. Went and checked out mine and the slider has rubbed the surface off the swingarm a little bit. Nothing major, but if I found out about it much later, I'd have something like you. Maybe not because it has a lot of hours and for that many hours and it's no where near as yours. It's on a yz125. The problem is that no matter how tight the bolts are, the slider still can move around a little. I don't know if it was a right thing to do but I oiled the place where the slider causes the problem. Don't know if there's anything else I can do.

Edited by BikerGuy

On the supermoto forums they recomend mounting the slider on a bed of silcone sealant

This kind of bonds in in place, whilst still allowing it to move around slightly, but prevents the fretting and rubbing on the arm itself

• Like 2

On the supermoto forums they recomend mounting the slider on a bed of silcone sealant

This kind of bonds in in place, whilst still allowing it to move around slightly, but prevents the fretting and rubbing on the arm itself

That seems like a great idea. I'll have to do that on mine. Thanks.

This has been going on for years.  If you've never seen it, you either haven't looked, or you just don't get the bike out much.  The actual hole all the way through is a bit much, but I'seen that before, too. I have a fix that I use on all of them before they get that bad.  Read:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/946340-picture-of-chain-slider-wear-to-swing-arm/

• Like 1

As usual, grayracer is the font of all knowledge on all things YZF/WR

I did search before posting, but couldn't find anything - must be using wrong terms, although I did put in 'chain slider hole swingarm' which didn't find the post linked to by grayracer Edit:- no wonder I didn't find it, its in the YZ forum!

Seems my idea of a s/steel plate is a tried and proven method - well they do say original thought is the rarest thing on this planet

At least I know its the recommended fix now

Glad to know I'm not the only one to have it happen

Edited by GuyGraham

I've worked on wr's since their release and never seen one wear all the way through, that's impressive!

Well Thanks, but it wasn't intentional, and I'd rather not have a hole in my swingarm and not have your admiration  ?

I've fitted some 3mm adhesive backed foam under my slider to prevent this. It helps reduce chain slap / noise too.

The OE Yam sliders come with closed cell neoprene stuck to the inside faces, where they contact the arm, but it didn't stop it wear a hole in mine ?

Well Thanks, but it wasn't intentional, and I'd rather not have a hole in my swingarm and not have your admiration  ?

Ha ha, yeah, fair enough! ?

I've only ever seen YZ's with severe swing arm wear – that’s normally due neglect, the chain wore through the slider and started on the swing arm!

I had this happen on my YZ. I heard about the issue but thought the TM designs chain slider with the rubber adhesive inserts would keep this from happening, but it did not. Mine did not reach the magnitude of your damage, but considerable wear has taken place. I now have an aluminum plate under my chain slider. I also inserted a thread and use a bolt to ensure the chain slider is tightened enough so it doesn't not move.

I've worked on wr's since their release and never seen one wear all the way through, that's impressive!

I've fitted some 3mm adhesive backed foam under my slider to prevent this. It helps reduce chain slap / noise too.

This is what I did years ago to eliminate the "chain slap" noise.  It was the chain slider slapping against the swingarm.... 

Yeah, it works superbly for eliminating chain slap!

I recently replaced my stock chain slide for the first time on my '07.  Went with the TMDesigns.  Didn't need put anything additional down with this one, no chain slap as it fits much better than the stocker. ?

WR450.jpg

Arm is now welded, and an excellent job the welder has done

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

Have made a full form, full length Stainless steel plate

Welder currently has it, coz I had cut it and bend it to made it follow the angle of the swingarm

• Like 1