Sign in to follow this  

ktm 125 sx 2006 weird transmission problem. HELP!

Okay... i had a bad day at the track accelerating from a corner on 3rd gear when i noticed some kind of vibration when accelerating, I stopped at the side of the track to find out what happened. I had a hard time finding neutral and when i did the bike still slightly pulled forward, This is when i knew it was something catastrophic. Well i drove to the pit and went home and took it apart.

I found one of the shafts (the front sprocket one)  cracked halfway through the shaft, almost snapped into two pieces around where the 3rd gear is located. It was also bent alitle which explains the vibration. I will post images when i can!

Now for the question... Any ideas what causes this kind of a failure? I have really never heard of anything like this on a dirtbike.
And then... Which year transmission parts can i use to repair it? It is a 6 speed gearbox and when trying to find right parts on ebay most of them are 5 speed :banghead: ... So please help anyway you can!

Edited by zdaiuf

I got a pile of these shafts and various other partslaying around. I'll get you one on the cheap if you are interested. Most of the 125/144/200 transmissions should work. I have no idea what would've caused that, I've broke gear teeth before bit never a shaft. Is your bike a 5 or 6 speed?

just so you know 03sx125 6 speed stuff is a direct swap into a 06 200xc 6 speed get in a parts pic and beside the gear # it will say how many teeth on it . the 125 and 200 and 144 like squid said,the tranny stuff swaps pretty good, I think exc and xcw have taller 6th gears and maybe lower first gear.

• Like 1