Is this bad?

Do i need a new swingarm? Qnd where would i find one? I did a fast look online and saw some ok used ones for like 100$.. thanks for all replies. I wasnt expecting any of this..... i may never be able to ride her again =[

Well im sure that explains why my chain was streched so far lol and its only 7000 miles a handful less actually. Thats half the reason for all this i got new chain and sprockets someone a while back here said l should do maintenence on swingarm also good thing i did! Props to whoever that was or i wohkd have found myself in a worse situation down the road.

That was from one year in my possesion lol. Got it with 1800 miles pretty sure PO was first owner to. I dont think he did much with it though had the stock tires still didnt look dirty at all. But idk why would this have happend? Anything to do with the tighness of the chain? And i could probably get it welded by someone i know hopefully.

Do you have another picture showing the damage, but from the inside bore of the swingarm pivot (where the dust seal and bearings fit)?  Your choices for repair (best to good enough): replace swingarm (new or good used), weld damage, JB Weld.

I say, depending on where its worn through, applying JB Weld (NOT 5 min) to the damage will be enough.  If it's only worn through at the outer edge, where the dust seal sits and not much deeper… then JB should be fine.  That portion of the bore only holds the dust seal in place.

Similar damage repaired with JB Weld: https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/943483-swingarm-issue-jb-to-the-rescue/

The swingarm is located laterally by thrust washers or bearings against the outer edge of the swingarm and the frame.
I personally would want full structural integrity up to or over what the OEM design is for lateral strength.

IOW.... if a large section of the swingarm was cut or ground out like that one in the picture is.... slathering in JB weld would not be my solution..

I acknowledge, it may not that be that big a deal.. And that if the side of the swingarm were to laterally collapse ..... it would would probable just start binding.... the rider would notice and likely no catastrophic crash was going to take place.  

Opinions very.... and lots of folks believe in JB weld as a fully structural metal replacement..  Im not that lucky, and i dont. 

• Like 2