Sign in to follow this  

2002 rm125, $300?

im looking at buying a 2002 rm125 for $300. i uploaded pictures below. it says it needs the pipe, a top end, and stator cover. other than that is all visual things it needs. will need number plates and graphics, other plastics look fine. is it worth it? im 15 and i plan to buy it and save up money from my summer job to finish it. anybody have any tips for this bike? i currently ride  2002 HONDA XR200R and want something faster to take to the local track with some friends. any help or tips is appreciated. 

2003 rm125.jpg

rm125 2.jpg

Edited by goon_life427

I found in a lot of cases for project builds, you have to be willing to spend money in order to have something. 95% of these $300 bikes need a lot more then listed and even small things like fork seals and sprockets add up. You might be trying to do it as cheap as possible but buying the cheapest bike doesn't always make your final total the cheapest. Sometimes spending more for a better bike is your better option and in a lot of cases buying a $1500 bike instead of dumping $1200 into a $300 one will get you much further ahead. 

It is worth going to look at for sure though, it doesn't look overly beat up or anything like that. Bring someone who knows a lot about bikes and have them check things like breaks, sprockets, wheels, controls and a ton of other things. If the motor is apart when you go to look at it, check the inside of the cylinder and rub your fingernail on it and see if it catches anywhere or if there are any visable damaged areas. Check the transmission and the connecting rod of the crank to see if there's any play in your bottom end as well.

A top end with a new cylinder can run you $150 for the piston, rings and gasket and $200 to have a replate done if it needs it. A stator will run you around $100 if it's bad, a cover won't be a whole lot and a pipe might be had on kijiji or craigslist for cheap but if not, check ebay. So there's roughly $800 in parts which brings you up to $1100 without labour (if you or someone you know can't do it) assuming nothing else is wrong with it. I know you want to have a bike to ride and you're going to add a bit to it with each pay cheque as I did when I was a kid but either way, you're not going to have a bike until you have about $1500 into the thing so if you buy it, make sure it doesn't need a bunch of other stuff too. It could be a good buy plus if you do the motor over yourself and fix any other problems, you know for a fact that you have a good bike instead of gambling on someone else's. 

I can work on it myself. I found a full OEM exhaust in eBay for $120 and a top end for $80, and the stator cover for $20 used. I know it could end up being a money pit but the last 125 I bought was claimed to have a new top end but when we checked it the top end was almost done and the bottom end was needed to be rebuilt too. At least with this one I know its gonna need work and I'm not gonna think im getting a brand new bike and it end up being crap. I was planning to get it, tear it completely down, write down all the parts it needs and start saving up as much as I can...and I may be selling my xr200 for it because I'm gonna end up selling it anyway and the money will help a lot...I just wish the XR was worth more, it even has a completely new top end. Spent $600 rebuilding but still won't get much more than a grand for it. But oh well, you win some you lose some.

Does he have paper work for the bike? Looks like the bike was used for a few parts. But if you can do the work yourself and he has the pink i would go for it would be a fun little project

I'm not sure if he has the title. If he doesn't it doesn't make that much of a difference, it'll only be ridden at the local track and around my property...I'm considering doing a full build on it... Powder coat the frame, new top/bottom end, new plastics, doing some head/port work, flywheel weight, bunch of stuff like that to make it better. If I get enough money that is

[sharedmedia=garage:vehicles:1156]
[sharedmedia=garage:vehicles:1156]

I redid an 01 RM125. It was honestly one of my favorite things to watch the bike progress and turn into what it did. However, everyone is being quite honest about the $$$.. When I figured id have mine back together for under 800$, I was dead wrong. Im into it $1300, but ive never had a bike set up the way I wanted like this one is. I also have peace of mind knowing that I know what parts are in it, and that I was the one to put it all together...... which is a take it or leave it scenario.

Edited by TheBoonDocker

I'm also looking at a 2001 cr125 for $500 and a 2001 cr250 for $750 both need top ends...I'd really prefer a 250, me being 6'2 and 210 pounds..I think either one would be fine for me though..may sell my xr200 and buy a 250 instead if I don't get the rm

If it were me I'd buy that bike cause I already have enough extra parts to put on everything it needs and then some

• Like 1

That sucks. There's 300 in parts already there, without the stuff it needs. Cases alone with no damage could get you $300.

I never look at the price of what a bike needs, somewhat, but more what is there and if it justifies the price. If there's $300 worth of parts alone, like frame, swingarm, etc, it's already worth it since I can get my money back.