Sign in to follow this  

Need some help PW50

Hi, I am new to these little bikes so if someone can help that'd be great

Recently bought my nephew a PW50.

I have cleaned the carb and the jets, ran new fuel through it including 2 stroke, changed the spark plug, new throttle housing and wiring and it will only start if I dip the plug in a bit of petrol, the it'll run for a bit then dies and won't start again, it is also getting very hot. Please can someone shed some light on this.

Thank you

Well assuming the bike is running for a few minutes long enough to get really hot. I would guess the engine is starving for fuel. You can loosen the drain bolt on the bottom of the carburetor to see if there's any blockage in the fuel delivery. If that's not the issue I would crank it over kick it over a couple of times and check to see if the spark plug is getting wet.

Thank you for your reply

I'll try this later and let you know

Cheers

I went nuts trying to troubleshoot my PW.  Turns out there was a little tiny fuel filter inside the petcock.  Check it out, I just removed mine and cleaned the petcock out quick, bike has never ran so good. 

Hi thank you for your reply, I'll have a look and no still not running at all now

Thanks

Hi, took the petcock there is no filter in there, and is flowing fine. thanks for the advice on that. Stripped the carb and cleaned it again still nothing in it. Haven't check the float yet? So that could be it... Changed spark plug again, checked all the wiring even replaced the start/ride/stop wiring still no luck. I am pre-mixing as the oil pump has gone on it. Checked the piston and it does look quite bad in there... So that could also be it? The guy who owned this before me should be ashamed of his "maintenance". Hopefully I'll get to the end of it soon!!!

Try removing the header pipe.  It's could be badly carboned up restricting the exhaust gases from escaping and snuffing the engine out.  It's a common problem with these little bikes.

Cheers mate I'll check that tomorrow. Just looking at buying a new top end now there not that expensive so probably go down that route as well

My son's pw was just doing the same thing. It was a clogged exhaust silencer. Take the exhaust apart and clean it. The silence has an insert that can be removed.

Hi, literally at my whits end now! pulled the exhaust apart cleaned it. Checked the float that's fine. So now it's either in the wiring or compreson/piston. If Anyone can shed some light that'd be great cheers

When you took the exhaust off did you notice any carbon build up at the exhaust port on the engine?  Did you try and start it without the exhaust on it?

Tried that and still won't start.. So I literally have no idea now

You could check the wiring connections, give them a clean make sure they're connecting properly but it looks like a top end rebuild might be the answer here which probably wouldn't hurt to do regardless.  I think the compression on these should be around 90-100psi.  

My sons got hard to start and when it did it just didnt run right. Wound up being the slide hanging up in the carb. Had to have the port on the carbed honed a little. Runs like a champ now. Another issue i have ran across is the rubber boot between the carb and the air filter dried and shrank. It was partially blocking the carb and ran like crap.

When you first cleaned the carburetor did you reset the air screw back to factory or original settings? Your carb could be out of adjustment

Hi thanks for your advice! It's finally running now! It was to do with carb! Not quite sure what it was as my brother fixed it! But it's all working now thank you for your help guys