Sign in to follow this  

02 Motor interchangeability

We just took on an 02 with internal pieces poking out through  holes in the cases that don't belong.

Up till now I've avoided the carb'd bikes. So I don't know much about them.

I need to figure out at what point does it make sense look for a used motor vs fixing this one. 

If I go with a used motor what year will fit this 02 frame.

And what parts can I use from the 02 in newer blocks.

thanks in advance.

Edited by nesc103y

I am almost certain the 03 and 04 motor will fit. The Gen2 motors (05-08) will not. The Gen2 motor mount points on the cases are to wide to fit in the Gen1 chassis.

What I have seen and been told is the older Gen1 motors will fit in the newer Gen 2 chassis if you use spacers at the motor mounts. The newer Gen2 motors will not fit in the older Gen1 chassis.

I just pulled an 04 motor out of an 08 chassis and sure enough there were spacers in the mounts

I am almost certain the 03 and 04 motor will fit. The Gen2 motors (05-08) will not. The Gen2 motor mount points on the cases are to wide to fit in the Gen1 chassis.

What I have seen and been told is the older Gen1 motors will fit in the newer Gen 2 chassis if you use spacers at the motor mounts. The newer Gen2 motors will not fit in the older Gen1 chassis.

I just pulled an 04 motor out of an 08 chassis and sure enough there were spacers in the mounts

Thanks for the quick response. What about cases?

Does that mean cases up to 04, will work with the internals from the 02 grenade?

you answered my question before I even asked lol

Edited by nesc103y

I'm think we're going to repair these

amazingly the only damage is the crank/rod and cases.

the piston, cyl, and head, are all perfect!

lucky for the owner it failed while the piston was traveling down.

The first two are the 02 450. the last pic is a similar damaged KX250F we recently repaired at the 515Moto garage.

If I fix these cases I'll follow up with inside pics to show the damage,  then all the same pics once repaired for reference.

DSC00894.JPG

DSC00895.JPG

0315141331.jpg

The repair on the KX looks great! All things considered the owner of the '02 should be very pleased with the repair bill

It looks like I'm shopping for a motor

I have a complete balencer assembly and a complete oil pump assembly I could send you cheap

Thanks but the balance shaft bearing support is blown out so I'm not going to bother.

This bike came back to life last night. We bought one of the motors in the above links and my son used the top end of the old motor with a new Vertex piston to put it back together. 

I was a little uneasy about buying the used motor but for this bike and its owner it was the only way which made financial sense. 

The nice thing about the motor, it looked really good, better than I expected. Nothing was questionable.

And it runs sweet!

This bike came back to life last night. We bought one of the motors in the above links and my son used the top end of the old motor with a new Vertex piston to put it back together. 

I was a little uneasy about buying the used motor but for this bike and its owner it was the only way which made financial sense. 

The nice thing about the motor, it looked really good, better than I expected. Nothing was questionable.

And it runs sweet!

Thats good news. I just noticed that both of those motors were from the same seller. I have bought from them before, a few things if I remember right, and always received good parts