Sign in to follow this  

2013 crf450 oil and tranny oil

I haven't received my service manual yet and im changing my oil. could someone please tell me how many cc of oil go in the motor and tranny side?

Check the FAQ's at the top of the thread list. Lots of good info there. I just copy/pasted the following from the FAQ

Engine and Trans oil levels

FAQ:
The stock engine oilicon1.png capacity on the CRF450R engine is:
670cc with out an oil filter service.
690cc with the filter service.

The transmission level:
Suggested level from Honda is 580cc. Many have found that the kick-starter idler gear squeals at that level because its under oiled. I suggest you run your oil level between 600-700cc. Personally I run 625cc’s. Some have run as much as a full quart in the transmission. Personally I feel this is too much and could cause over heating in the transmission.

Using the check oil hole in the side case for the transmission/clutch can be problematic unless you follow the complete routine which is as follows. Drain, and refill. Start engine. Check the level. If its low, add oil, start engine, then recheck with the check hole. The reason you have to start the engine is because the way the clutch basket distributes the oil throughout the transmission. It’s a hell of a lot easier to just pour a sufficient and measured amount of oil in and be done with it.

Not sure where you got that info for his 2013, but the OM states 580cc of engine oil without a filter change, 620cc with an oil filter change, and trans is 640cc.

For the trans (on the side of the case where the check-level bolt is) there is a stated capacity and I use that amount for the trans, I think it's 720cc.

Check the FAQ's at the top of the thread list. Lots of good info there. I just copy/pasted the following from the FAQ

Engine and Trans oil levels

FAQ:

The stock engine oilicon1.png capacity on the CRF450R engine is:

670cc with out an oil filter service.

690cc with the filter service.

The transmission level:

Suggested level from Honda is 580cc. Many have found that the kick-starter idler gear squeals at that level because its under oiled. I suggest you run your oil level between 600-700cc. Personally I run 625cc’s. Some have run as much as a full quart in the transmission. Personally I feel this is too much and could cause over heating in the transmission.

Using the check oil hole in the side case for the transmission/clutch can be problematic unless you follow the complete routine which is as follows. Drain, and refill. Start engine. Check the level. If its low, add oil, start engine, then recheck with the check hole. The reason you have to start the engine is because the way the clutch basket distributes the oil throughout the transmission. It’s a hell of a lot easier to just pour a sufficient and measured amount of oil in and be done with it.

Edited by Eddie8v

from the honda manual

Transmission:

models after 2012- 0.64 liter (0.68 US qt, 0.56 Imp qt) at draining

.72 Liter (0.76 US qt, 0.63Imp qt) at dissassembly.

Engine Oil Capacity:

.58 liter (0.61 US qt) at draining

.62 liter (0.66 US qt) at oil filter change

.77 liter (0.81 USqt) at disassembly

note no changes are listed in the 09-14 honda manual for engine oil capacity between model years.

when I plug these capacities into an online conversion I wind up with

Trans oil .68qt= aprox 645cc

Eng oil .66qt at draining and filter 625cc

.61qt at draining 578cc

Edited by pieplatesnductape

I copy/pasted the engine & trans amounts from the forum FAQ's because a lot of very knowledgable people feel the Honda manual understates the oil requirements and many people add more oil then the manual calls for.

I agree with a little extra than specs as well even more so since honda runs less engine oil than the other manufacturers due to the seperated trans and oil.