Sign in to follow this  

Jumping - back end washing out to the side

1 out 5 jumps my back end will wash out to the side.  This is very dangerous and has caused me many bad wrecks.  On and instructional video I learned that catching the side of a rut can bounce you side ways.  This tip helped, but wash outs are much more common for me.  I can only avoid this when I leave the lip while not under power.  If I am accelerating and have the gas on when I leave the lip I am done for.  Am I alone in this battle and any ideas on how to avoid this?

I'm no pro but like you said, hitting jumps not accelerating on the face is helpful when your not getting good traction to prevent that problem. Carry that momentum before the jump, coast up the face, and blip the throttle as much as u need to depending on your body positioning and how hard your bike compression brakes on the face.

If you can't avoid accelerating on the face because the jump's right out of a corner or something then I'd say decide for yourself which way you want the bike to be sliding out off of the jump by leaning a little one way or another so that way you can anticipate how to be correcting it during the ascent and straiten out.

Or hit the jump straiter to begin with and keep a steadier throttle all the way up the face and try to keep as much traction as possible.

• Like 1

Rear tire centered?

That's strange and damn scary for that to be happening.

You are getting wheel spin off the face. Try carrying more speed to the jump so you don't need to throttle off so hard. Also when it happens keep you 're front tire and shoulders pointed in the direction you want to go. And land with the gas ON don't just let off the throttle and hope to ride it out.

• Like 1

Exactly.....try to get more speed before the jump so you can cruise the jump more than you trying to spin off of it.

Make sure your sag and suspension are right. Mine got out of whack without me looking at it every few rides and mine did the same thing. Used to scare the $&@! out of me. Got it right and the bike tracked true. If your suspension is unbalanced your bike wants to fight itself off the jump also.

Those lil markings on the axle don't nec mean the tire is centered. I've counted a notch wrong before.

You could be weighing the pegs off the face with different sides sometimes.

Sag/suspension mostly and more squeezing of the knees fixed mine.

• Like 1

It's a lot more likely to get sideways on take offs when staying on the throttle all the way through the jump. The slippery the soil the more likely. Either the bike is not in a straight line regarding a slight rut, ridge or dished out area off the jump, your weighting one footpeg a lot more than the other or your leaning the bike off the jump face. It has to be one of those things. 

To get all the basic jumping techniques, including getting sideways off jumps by accident, you would benefit big time from my "Motocross Basic Jumping Techniques DVD or Stream. It contains way more than just showing the techniques. It demonstrates the most common mistakes and breaks down each part of the correct techniques and shows you how to learn them in steps. Bottom line is they get results. Just read some of my many testimonies.

Here's one from Ryan Villopoto:

I'm very excited about training with Gary; I think his training and workout programs have a great deal to offer. When I first met Gary he pointed out the simplest things about my bike set up, once we made those changes there was a huge difference in my riding. He also has helped me with the positive mental thinking side of riding. That has helped enormously!
I think my future will no doubt include
Gary Semics, I think who else would I have train me other than the man that trained McGrath!
Ryan Villopoto #615

Ryan over Gary's head.jpg
  • Like 1

Gary,

A point of technique please. I see a lot of racers going sidways off of jumps. At first it seemed that it was showboating but as I looked something else must be going on as riders in second or third place are doing it routinely.  It seems like they are using the a slide near the moment of takeoff to scrub off speed. If I were in second place and trying to bare down on the leader I would not be showboating but would keep my thoughts toward winning.

I am a 60+ woods and trail rider.

This may or may not help but I had bad rear kick out problem in the air on jumps too . I thought I was weighing one side more then the other  or that my rebound was off . I thought I had my sag set correct . I measured from the end of my side panel to the center of my rear axle . One day at the track there was a suspension shop owner  who chimed in on my problem . he reset my sag and the problem was cured . he made his measurements parallel to angle of the shock .

My entire life I have had problems with the rear end moving out to the side unpredictably.   I have Gary Semics DVD and it was disappointingly short.  Yet, after a year I see myself figuring out the gaps that were left in the video.  The DVD explains that your back end will kick to one side if you don't ride through the center of a rut and when this occurs you need to be able to adjust in the air.  This didn't help me much because a person can't go from jumping 5ft off the ground to 20ft overnight.  With 5ft of air you can still get torqued completely sideways but you don't have the hang time to correct your mistake.  However, as we all know a lesson is best learned from the school of hard nocks...and then you realize that Gary did make the correct suggestions...the DVD just didn't tie things together for me.  This is what advanced riders don't tell you:  If you lean your bike to one side your rear end is going to push out hard.  Weighting the pegs evenly is not a solution because when you go off a jump centered even on one foot your bike will not kick out like you have seen yourself do.  Don't ever expect to be centered in a rut because if you are only off by an inch your rear end will kick to one side.  Learning to react to the correct direction of this kick is like rubbing your belly and tapping your head.  You go right in a rut and your rear end goes left.  If you can't correct the side kick like me don't worry too much...just make sure you turn your front wheel against the kick out like you would do when drifting a corner on a gravel road with your car.  This seems obvious until you are terrified.  If you approach a jump and have only this maneuver on your mind you will accomplish it and it quickly becomes second nature.  I have landed many time very sideways and due to the counter steer the landing still feels controlled.  However, the people watching sure don't think so :)   Gary's video mentions weighting back, centered, and forward and then to use the throttle or brake to adjust in the air.  However, no one tells you that hitting the rear brake slowly brings the front down yet throttle will wheelie you over in an instant.  10 ft of air and I landed on my back...no joke.  Also it is easier to control the throttle rather than moving your foot over to the pedal and pulling in the clutch as to not stall your engine. Therefore you put all of this together and it spells out:  leave the lip without having the throttle on (the kick is accelerated by a spinning tire).   Lean back if the lip is a kicker.  Be ready to throttle if you are going to go over the bars (worse case scenario)...and simply turn the front wheel hard into the movement direction.  Don't land with the gas on like everyone says...you get awesome traction when the bike impacts...you will wheelie up hard or you will feel a jolt forward.  Yes I do ride a 500cc.  I hope this helps and I hope Gary reads this and makes a longer video.  I will most definitely buy it.