Sign in to follow this  

400rr 2014

any tips , aftermarket must haves etc that you can recommend.

Which oil do you use, semi or fully synthetic?

What should I look out for ?

what a bike!!!! brilliant

..just some handguards .. and everything else is up to you for whatever particularly do.  Really these bikes are great stock.. I just add stuff for fun and for some improvement to personalize my bike... but the bike is awesome stock ... ok maybe some gearing for what you ride too... guards etc..  Just look around in the cross reference and things I did to my Beta today type threads and read a little  to see what others have done.  You don't really NEED anything the bike is great .. just the minimum set up that everyone who gets a bike gets..... I'm watching MOTO 3  on TV (background multitasking )..and see Cody playing on a 350.. pretty close to your 400.

Nice looking bike.. I just looked on youtube to see an ex . of  what it looks like for 14'.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Great Bike!

Gearing / Guards / Gas / Go!

If the power is not enough buy a FMF Q4 pipe assembly

Rock on!

• Like 1

Wasn't that the slogan that KTM bought along with all that 4 stroke technology when they acquired Husaberg?

I thought the slogan for KTM was "Ready to Race".

Yep, I was just pointing out the similarity. 

• Like 1

Perhaps, but not 'Capable to Race only a few races before failing' was probably too long to fit on a t-shirt.....

• Like 2

Not really, you have to make it ready. It is nowhere near as ready to race out of the box as a Beta. I had to tear down my 300 from brand new before racing it. It has been a huge money pit. Biggest POS I ever swung a leg over. Of course after lots of cash, my personal repair, and modifying the piss poor engineering, It's pretty well dialed in.

Perhaps, but not 'Capable to Race only a few races before failing' was probably too long to fit on a t-shirt.....

KTM:

Kick Till Monday

Keep Taking Money

Know The Mechanic

Kost Too Much

Kapot Terug Maken (if it's broken fix it back)

Edited by ballisticexchris

I really can't complain on my 530 excr. It's been flawless except for the poor lighting. I only added a higher wattage stator to run different lights. Around here the slogan for KTM is Keep Tools and Manuel.

Edited by Rotax
  • Like 1

"Ready to Compete"              I wonder where they got that? :facepalm:

It's a step forward. First started as "Beta the play bike". Now "Ready to Compete" and by 2020 "Ready to Win".

OP, make sure the suspension is sprung for your weight, motor mounts to frame bolts will need to be torqued by 10 hrs along with rear brake lever. Toss the stock tires, add guards and a fan. I prefer synthetic oil and can only use no more than 5wt. for the gear side to make the clutch work.

Edited by weantright
  • Like 1

It's a step forward. First started as "Beta the trail bike". Now "Ready to Compete" and by 2020 "Ready to Win".

OP, make sure the suspension is sprung for your weight, motor mounts to frame bolts will need to be torqued by 10 hrs along with rear brake lever. Toss the stock tires, add guards and a fan. I prefer synthetic oil and can only use no more than 5wt. for the gear side to make the clutch work.

I should have said this earlier!

Could not agree more. The suspension (Sachs) is actually good stuff, BUT, spend the time, research the springs and compare to your weight and do this first. There are many that slide into the OEM springs rate perfectly, I'm just not one of them. Making compromises here will take away from your enjoyment of this bike.

IF you balance the bike to fit your weight, set the sag correctly, then set the clickers on the lighter side, then start a click here and there a little at a time. You will find you're riding on one the best off-road bikes out there.

Over 50% of the riders today are riding on a under-sprung machine, this takes away so much in true enjoyment of a bike like a Beta, or any bike for that matter. That is IF YOU really want to ride it fast and in the control that the Beta engineers built into the bike.

Change the engine/trans oil THE FIRST TIME at 300 miles max, swap out with good synthetic juice,

Throw on the hand guards on as stated prior.  

The 2014 rubber is good enough to perform a break-in on the machine, then toss.

After doing this let us know your thoughts!

Edited by MarkBevans
  • Like 1

I have read in another thread about something behind the clutch basket that must(?) be changed in 40-50hours. This is on the 4 stroke models. What is it and how critical is this. Or just internet stuff? Thanks.

I have read in another thread about something behind the clutch basket that must(?) be changed in 40-50hours. This is on the 4 stroke models. What is it and how critical is this. Or just internet stuff? Thanks.

Take a look at "Oil-Pump" gears in some of the topics already in here.

40-50 hours are in "racing applications"

Check out for yourself what others have found inside their diesels pertaining to this subject.

I'm pretty sure that Beta is referring to normal grooving from the clutch plates. I have the Rekluse basket. Mine was still in really good shape. If you run your fingers across the the basket "fingers" and feel the grooves you can get a little more life out of them by lightly filing smooth. Too bad we don't have a cross reference for one of those cool Barnett baskets with the steel inserts.

Here is mine after 120 hrs.

100_0629_zpsa0820a33.jpg

EDIT, It's the center clutch that's the Rekluse product. The basket is OEM.

Thanks but it is not the clutch basket that was discussed. Something deeper.